Canyon owners model advice

Fishboyz
Fishboyz Posts: 152
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
I'm running my second Ultimate AL this time a AL SLX with Sram force 22.

I'm think of a lighter upgrade option ideally with the same amount of comfort of the AL SLX. Question is for those who owned various Canyon models which one should I go for and why?

Ultimate SLX with dura ace
Endurance with dura ace
Ultimate CF with ultegra Di2 or Force 22

tbh I can't choose between them! The AL SLX seems adequately stiff and not certainly uncomfortable, most riding done on battered country lanes, broken surfaces and decent B-roads. Some ambitions for sportive this year and the odd cycling weekend. Money asides the Ultimate SLX with dura ace looks tasty but don't want to go too extreme in terms of hours in the saddle.

Any thoughts appreciated, Ta.

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Clearly no-one can answer that question for you. There's simply not enough information to know what it is you want out of it. If it's all about weight, buy the lightest, if it's all about bling, buy the blingiest. The obvious first question is this: Why are you changing from the existing AL SLX.
    You're happy with the comfort, the geometry is the same a 2 of the replacememts you're considering and the groupset is the same as one of them too. If I didn't know you already had the AL SLX I might very well suggest you go for that model. As you do, then perhaps you should stick to it until you know what you want?!...or perhaps it's damaged, the wrong size, or ........
  • Fishboyz
    Fishboyz Posts: 152
    yea fair comment - I guess of those models why did folk go for an endurance over a CF for example? I'm not unhappy with the Al SLX, ideally i'd love to try the Ultimate CF SLX after which I may "yes my AL is actually a really good bike" and be completely underwhelmed, I guess my problem is I can't gauge the real differences between models as opposed to just reading specs and marketing blurb hence actual owners who may have owned a few Canyons i'd love to hear from
  • How Far is too Far
    How Far is too Far Posts: 534
    edited January 2015
    I have an Ultimate CF SL with force 22 and Fulcrum Zeros, it is light enough to be good on the hills but still fine for a long 100+ miles ride. I find the bike good for racing as well.

But I would have thought your AL SLX would be very similar?

I have two road bikes and the other one is a Supersix with 50mm carbon wheels, this is used for faster flatter rides and I use my Canyon for more hilly rides. As you already have a good road bike I would say you are better off getting your next one to be a little different to the one you have, if that makes seance.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Fishboyz wrote:
    yea fair comment - I guess of those models why did folk go for an endurance over a CF for example? I'm not unhappy with the Al SLX, ideally i'd love to try the Ultimate CF SLX after which I may "yes my AL is actually a really good bike" and be completely underwhelmed, I guess my problem is I can't gauge the real differences between models as opposed to just reading specs and marketing blurb hence actual owners who may have owned a few Canyons i'd love to hear from
    The Endurace is a very similar bike to the Ultimate CF SL in most repects except for the slightly shorter and more upright geometry. That's the whole purpose of the bike. If you're happy with the geometry of the Ultimate AL SLX then there's no reason to consider it. If on the other hand, you find yourself getting uncomfortable on longer rides and reckon a less aggressive position is the answer...there you go.