Ridley Helium Ultegra

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have an opportunity to buy a 2014 Ridley Helium Ultegra. Is this a good bike? i was planning to buy a Canyon Endurace or a Rose CGF- 2000.

What kind of bike is the helium? out and out race bike? Sportive? etc

Im using it for the Haute Route Pyranees this year and need it to be comfortable.

Cheers

Comments

• holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    My only real exposure to it is this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCkYeNaGNW0
  • Donie75
    Donie75 Posts: 92
    Was about to start a few thread on this very bike. Anyone got any experience to share now?
    I'm in the market for a new endurance sportive bike and I was looking at the Ridlay Fenix. I called into a dealer and he's keen to sell me a Helium but everything I read is saying the Helium is a lightweigh race bike and the Fenix is an endurance bike.
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    I have a Helium, with Ultegra but built up myself so varies from the standard spec.
    According to the Ridley documents, the geometry of the Fenix and Helium is the same, can't say anything about a Fenix as i've never ridden one, but the Helium i've ridden on all surfaces and environments from the Lincolnshire flatlands to battering up and down alpine climbs.. Its a superb frame, very comfortable, stiff and ideal for general riding and racing, descending is a particular joy as the handling is so good.

One thing to be aware of is Ridley's geometry, it tends to be quite different from many manufacturers and its vital to compare stack and reach dimensions from your current steed as the normal VTT/head tube lengths don't give you the full story and you may end up with a frame thats too large.

Why have a run-of-the-mill when you can have something a bit different and superb at the same time?
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Another happy Helium(sl version) owner here(+ultegra and zonda wheels) and like 86 inch I built it up from a frameset;really pleased with it,seems to float over most road surfaces especially with some open paves fitted.
    As stated be wary of the geometry,I've got a medium/54 but the reach is a bit longer than some other bikes although it suits me as I have monkey arms :D

Here it is;

helium-27-03-15-4-jpg.83964
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Bit late to the party, but I've got a Helium Team SL with Ultegra with some Dura Ace C24s. I adore it. Really comes into its own on long hilly rides. As Bazza says, the frame sizes are a bit odd - I'm a 54/56 usually, but I ride a small.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    Hi
    I dont have one but a reviewer for Cycle plus , or Cyclist not sure which , said he like d it so much he was putting his own bike up to buy the Helium.
    regards
    ILM