DIY Full Bike Service

se99paj
se99paj Posts: 22
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Decided that my bike is long overdue a service as I haven't been able to have it serviced for sometime I thought a full service would be a good idea. But prices are a bit steep and my bank balance isn't look to great post-xmas so was interested to know how many people do a bike service themselves, full strip down and rebuild.

I'd like to think I'm fairly competent with a screwdriver and I've been able to build another bike from parts before so fairly confident that I would be able to do it. I did a quick search last night but couldn't find much information so wasn't sure if it was a popular thing to do.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Is it running ok? If it is, leave it. If it isn't, just work on the bits that aren't. Bikes aren't really like cars, with regular service intervals.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Do you just want to service it, ie check and only replace the bits that are worn out? Or are you planning to take the thing to bits completely and replace things unneccessarily?

My 'servicing' involves regular cleaning and lubrication, and keeping the tyres inflated. Beyond that I use a chain wear checker and replace the chain when it reaches 0.75% worn, and the cassette if the new chain keeps skipping. Tyres and brake blocks only replaced if they are visibly worn out, ditto cables only replaced if they gunk up or fray. Bar tape if it deteriorates, or if I've had to fit new cables. Headsets and BB's similarly only replaced if they have failed.

I do service my cup and cone hubs more or less annually, and occasionally whip off the freehub to drizzle some oil in there.

The only time I have done a complete strip-down was when transferring components from one bike to another.

Whatever you decide to do, most of it is pretty simple. You can do most things with a handful of basic tools. And the internet is a valuable source of info if you're unsure about anything.
  • se99paj
    se99paj Posts: 22
    At the moment my main reasons are:

Give the bike a good clean, thought this might be easier if I strip down some of the bits, probably won't need a full strip though, mainly the frame but anything else that
    The drivetrain definitely needs some care and attention as they are slipping and are pretty filthy.
    Other than that I think I'll just be taking a look at brakes/cables just to make sure there is no wear and tear, I don't think I'll replace anything unless I really need to.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I sometimes take off the chain / cassette / crankset / rear mech so I can give it all a good clean, and I'll take the opportunity to lube the pivot points / barrel adjuster / jockey wheels on the RD.

Chains are all joined with KMC missing links, so come off in seconds. Far easier to clean off the bike.
    Very easy to whip off a Shimano HT2 crankset, and with the triple it's quicker / more effective than trying to clean it on the bike anyway.
  • Never done (nor paid for) a service as such but I always clean bits that are hard to access when replacing or working on a part e.g just bought new brake calipers, need new bar tape and want to take an inch or so of steerer so fork had to come out anyway so I stripped headset. Found lower bearing was crunchy so will fit new one when I reassemble it all. A few months back I needed a new BB so that gave me the chance for a thorough clean of BB area of frame and chainset. I change cables once a year - 5k or so all weather miles - as a routine.

Nice piece by Frank Strack in this months cyclist on bike maintenance which explains why DIY is always the way.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I do a complete strip to bare frame every 2,500km. It gives me a chance to *really* clean the bike, check for cracks in carbon (I found a catastrophic crack hidden under the bar tape once), overhaul/replace bearings, redo loctite and check all bolts are torqued properly. And I quite enjoy building bikes... If I didn't do this, I'd end up buying even more bikes than I already do.