Unavailable 2015 bikes - what would you do?

Escher303
Escher303 Posts: 342
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to buy a Whyte 29er but the model I want is sold out in my size. I haven't bought a new bike for a long time so I don't know what the deal is here.

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/crosscountr ... ils/29-cs/

- Is it normal for a 2015 bike to be sold out already?
- Is it worth ringing round a load of shops to see if I can find one (bearing in mind my LBS has them at 20% off retail at the moment)?
- There are three models at different specs all with the same frame, the other two are available but the spec I specifically want is not. The higher range one is too expensive, the cheaper one is okay but there are quite a few components I'll want to upgrade. Could they not just swap bits to copy the spec of the model I want?
- Is it worth phoning the company directly and begging? :-)

Any ideas on what to do before I give in and go for the lower spec bike?

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Google.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Escher303 wrote:

2015 bikes were on sale as of August last year, you're already half way through the model year.

Other brands are available!
  • Escher303
    Google.

Every whyte dealer I've googled says they have it in stock on their website (or can get one in 3-5 days) despite none of them having stock it seems.
  • Escher303

2015 bikes were on sale as of August last year, you're already half way through the model year.

Good point.

Other brands are available!

I've ridden one and it's the bike I want.
  • Escher303 wrote:

I've ridden one and it's the bike I want.

Then you know what you have to do. Better to ring them up and speak to someone and ask them to physically verify stock and delivery times.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    Escher303 wrote:
    I'm looking to buy a Whyte 29er but the model I want is sold out in my size. I haven't bought a new bike for a long time so I don't know what the deal is here.

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/crosscountr ... ils/29-cs/

- Is it worth ringing round a load of shops to see if I can find one (bearing in mind my LBS has them at 20% off retail at the moment)?
    - There are three models at different specs all with the same frame, the other two are available but the spec I specifically want is not. The higher range one is too expensive, the cheaper one is okay but there are quite a few components I'll want to upgrade. Could they not just swap bits to copy the spec of the model I want?
    - Is it worth phoning the company directly and begging? :-)

have you asked your LBS to speak with the distributor or whyte to see if they will be supplying any more this year?

if they're not producing anymore, then yes you're stuck ring round all the whyte suppliers you can find.

i'm sure your LBS will change all the parts on a lower model to copy the spec you want at a price, however it will be highly unlikely they will swap them as they then get stuck with a load of parts they don't want / need. you could sell them on yourself, but i'd be tempted to just upgrade the key parts yourself (wheels, forks, brakes etc and then replace others as they wear out
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    At this price point the manufacturers don't want any unsold bikes left when it's time for new models (so they don't end up discounting them). The reason everyone appears to have the bike in stock, is because there should be one at the distributor.
    We had a similar situation when the missus got her bike a couple of years ago: we went to one shop offering a very good price and "in stock" but would only get it to the shop if we committed to buy. As she had never sat on one and only tried similar models, we ended up paying a little more buying from an online retailer, so we at least had the right to return it if it didn't fit.
    No-one had this model "in stock" afterward, so I think we would have ended up with the self same bike wherever we had purchased from.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Escher303
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    Escher303 wrote:

if they're not producing anymore, then yes you're stuck ring round all the whyte suppliers you can find.

Looks like I'm out of luck, have checked with several shops and the distributor and basically they are totally sold out and won't be making anymore until the 2016 models. Shame really and seems a little bit odd that they arranged me a demo on the very bike I want and in the right size.
  • and what size do you want?
  • Escher303
    and what size do you want?

Large
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Will they sell you the demo bike? No point in them keeping it if they can't get that bike any more.
  • Escher303
    Will they sell you the demo bike? No point in them keeping it if they can't get that bike any more.

Yeah, I was wondering that. I will ask them.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    What about the 2014 still got carbon frame and wheels.
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/whyte-29-c- ... duct/52443
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken