building a new rear wheel for my 29er

dattorob
dattorob Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there,

I wondered if some one can help me out. I want to build up a new rear wheel
for my 29er. The one that came with the bike is just getting trashed, as i
have quite rocky terrain in my local area.
My existing setup is a shimano 9 speed, with Alexrim SD-24 and hub is FH-RM66
(Center lock disc).
I would like to replace it with a Mavic Rim (XM 119 disc, 29 inches, 36 hole)
but i don't know what hub will fit these requirements. I know the existing hub
has a 10mm axle diameter and 135mm Over Locknut Dimension.

cheers
Robert :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    135x10 is the normal rear QR hub.

I would use 32h rims not 36h, much more common and no reason why it wouldn't be more than strong enough.

Do you want to stick with centrelock disc? If so it's Shimano or DT Swiss only, if you are happy to go to 6 bolt you have a lot more choice.

Budget?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Why that particular rim? Something like the WTB Frequency i19 is only £4 more and is tubeless ready as well as having a welded joint instead of the pinned joint on the Mavic. I've never been that impressed with the cheap Mavic rims, or most expensive ones for that matter either.

I would also use 32 hole. A well built 32 hole is more than up to the job.

What is actually wrong with the current rim? Could it be the build that is the problem and not the rim? You could always reuse the hub and possibly the spokes if the rim has a similar enough ERD.

What type of riding and and what bike is this for?
  • The Rookie
    Pinned joints are just different to welded, neithe better nor worse though, having said that, I do agree that the low end Mavic rims aren't the best value for money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I know they're different but welded does appear to be stronger IME. I've seen way more pinned rims fail at the join than welded. Of course they were also cheaper rims so they might have been weaker no matter what joining method was used. You also don't tend to see high end rims being pinned. The Frequency's I mentioned are just on sale right now, they normally cost about the same as Stan's or high end Mavic rims.
  • The Rookie
    More pinned/sleeved rims around than welded as well, so it's very likely you will see more failed ones.