Vibrations...

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited January 2015 in Workshop
I took the Gios for a maiden voyage this morning, rode fantastic until I reach over 20mph. Once I hit that speed I get a real disconcerting vibration. It's coming from the rear of the bike and they only way I can describe it is as if the brake caliper was loose and I was applying the brakes.

Any ideas where it could be coming from, I'm thinking it could be bearings in the rear wheel. As it only happens over 20mph it makes it tricky to check where it's coming from.

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It sounds like the bearings, Dean, but I thought these were new wheels?

Btw, maiden voyage for mine today as well. :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cubedean
    Ben6899 wrote:
    It sounds like the bearings, Dean, but I thought these were new wheels?

Btw, maiden voyage for mine today as well. :)

I bought the aksiums 2nd hand, Looks like I'll be getting new hubs for my wheel build sooner then I expected then.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I'd tip the bike on it's bars and saddle and give the wheel a good spin. You'll be able to feel any bearing problems by touching the frame.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Or feel for side-to-side play in the wheel whilst its in the frame.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Detach the chain from the cassette with the wheel off the ground and give the wheel a slight spin to see if there is an obvious overly heavy spot on the wheel as it see-saws to a stop.

As wheel spins also watch the tread to verify that it runs in a straight line with no major side-to-side (or up-down) movement.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • cubedean
    Thanks guys, it turned out to be mavic death squeal from the freehub bush.
  • We like simple fixes...
    average-skip-hire-prices.jpg
    My pen won't write on the screen