South Downs Way

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited January 2015 in Cyclocross
Has anyone done this on a CX bike? I fancy riding part or all of it in the summer.

Cheers.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• You have to ask Monty Dog, he owns the South Downs Way
    left the forum March 2023
  • cjcp
    Cheers, guys. Hadn't spotted that when I Googled the trail a couple of weeks ago.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Yeah, hoping to enter the above one this year. Need to work out logistics. On the assumption they will take bags to the finish, car to start, hotel at finish, train back to start next day.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • The White Chalk Hills UCX was a very difficult 40-odd miles, although you hopefully won't have to fight into the wind if going west-east. Some sections of the South Downs Way are cut into rock with big steps, and even where you can ride there are plenty of sharp flints & friction-free 'green chalk' to try and destroy you and your bike.....................can't wait to do it again :)
  • I live in the NW, but my Mrs is from Surrey and I do visit the area once or twice a year.

I have been thinking about doing this ride, sometime this year, inspired by the Wiggle ride, not willing to pay the privilege :wink:

I could either do the challenge of all in one day (100miles + whatever feet, 12000ft?), that's a tough, but doable with time on your hands, or do it over 2 days and either camp/B&B over night.

I am not sure of what to expect in terms of off road and would have a choice of the 1x10 hardtail or 2x10 CX disc. I would be more tempted with the CX, but would be happier on the MTB in terms of knowing I am unlikely to flat, and could hammer it if the opportunity arises.

Is the route clearly marked for bridle ways, i.e. bikes, are there variations? Also does it get really busy, would spring/autumn be a good time to do it?
  • cjcp
    I away at the Marmotte for the Wiggle ride, but I'm looking to do the full route in one day as a training ride for it. I'd be going West -> East, with an early train to Winchester, and maybe a B&B in Eastbourne on Saturday night.

I've heard about the flint. A backpack full of inner tubes should do it...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Done it 5 or 6 times now - 5 times on a CX. Fastest time (riding ~8hrs) was on a singlespeed CX as I didn't have a choice to go-slow on the hills! Longest was last summer's over-nighter on MTBs which really twisted everyone's head. After a dry spell, it's fast hardpack but after prolonged rain, a real slog in sticky clay. If riding west to east, bear in mind 2/3 of the climbing is in the second half. If riding CX you need strong legs; many the climbs are out-of-saddle hauling not sit and spin. Regular CX tyres are too-fragile on the flints IMO - go for a 40mm 'trekking' tyre if they fit - Schwalbe Smart Sams or Surly Knards. Plenty of taps on route but only food-stops near the route are Amberley and Alfriston. Might try for the double with an overnight stop this summer.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cjcp
    40mm tyres???? That's a tractor tyre! ;)

Seriously, that's very helpful; thank you.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Thanks, already paranoid about the small block 8s my CX currently has, they are very puncture prone! Nice riding on roads though. My next tyres will be wider with bigger knobbies and some puncture protection. I wonder if I would fit 40s, maybe 38 for mud clearance.

I am thinking of doing this spring time.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I started reading this and thought "no way". Then it seemed to make more sense. Then I spoke to a colleague that has done the BHF SDW ride a few times and he thought it was a ridiculous idea to try it on a CX bike. But he thinks a lot of things are ridiculous. Hmmm.
    cjcp wrote:
    40mm tyres???? That's a tractor tyre! ;)

Seriously, that's very helpful; thank you.
    I've got a set of the Surly Knards that I used for L2B off road. I went for a bit more comfort for miles of the downs link, worked well if you want to try them.
  • cjcp
    Wouldn't mind checking them out in the flesh if you're about this weekend. I suppose I need to check clearance. Have you fitted them to the Kinesis?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I've got 33c on both the Bivio and XLS at the moment. From just looking at the tyres and chainstay there's not THAT much more room there. That said I had 35c PDX on there and there was still some room.

How much bigger are the 40/41c Knard? Do they tend to foul on lots of bikes? I'm really tempted by them for the Battle on the Beach. But, combined with mud, worried that there may be rub. I guess I could buy a single just to try......
  • veronese68
    They fit on the Kinesis, but not much space if you pick up a lot of mud. I should be around most of this weekend Chris, good chance I'll be pottering in the garage as well. I'll try to remember to measure them once fitted for you Bender.
  • Ta!
  • veronese68
    Just realised the picture of the Pro6 in my sig is with the Knards fitted after the L2B.
  • Monty Dog
    I'm a big fan of fat rubber - might give it a try on my latest rig :shock: :
    VWKmrPYl.jpg
    Big volume tyres will also help on the descents - the descent down to Cocking can be quite fun as you're bouncing off fist-sized flints! Also, there are about a 100 gates that need negotiating which really stacks up if trying for a time.
  • veronese68
    That looks like fun Monty. I know what you mean about bumps and rocks on descents using a CX bike, I could barely hold on a couple of times on the l2b off road.
    I stuck the 41mm Knards on a rim and they are fractionally under 41mm wide and tall. That was at 50psi on a rim about 17mm wide. Hope that helps. This was the 120tpi folding version, they also do a rigid one at something like 27tpi that is rather cheaper.
  • Monty Dog
    Veronese68 wrote:
    That looks like fun Monty. I know what you mean about bumps and rocks on descents using a CX bike, I could barely hold on a couple of times on the l2b off road.
    I stuck the 41mm Knards on a rim and they are fractionally under 41mm wide and tall. That was at 50psi on a rim about 17mm wide. Hope that helps. This was the 120tpi folding version, they also do a rigid one at something like 27tpi that is rather cheaper.

I agree on the Knards being a great tyre - picked up a pair last summer and had them on my CX bike for a trip to Scotland and the Dales. Spent a few days shredding trails at Glentress and Innerleithin, as well as a 60km offroad 'jaunt' from Drumelzier - I was grateful of the grip and volume when hucking down a few black runs and encountering a few unexpected drop-offs!