New year, new toy

Corners R Us
Corners R Us Posts: 214
edited January 2015 in Your mountain bikes
So I decided to sell my faithful and much upgraded Marin Mount Vision and replace it with a fat bike for winter/mud fun. Not quite sure it will cover all my riding requirements so for now it'll keep my 650b Saracen Kili Flyer 12X company. Since the pics were taken I've changed the saddle for a Charge Spoon Camo (green/brown/fawn) and the tyres on it are 'loaners' pending the tan sidewall Surly Nates I ordered coming into stock. The black rims tape will also be replaced with blue when it comes back into stock too. Parts and bike built by http://www.Slam69.co.uk, THE fat bike shop.

2015 will be an interesting year......

Mukluk1_zpsc25c69b1.jpg

Mukluk3_zps825f1bce.jpg

Mukluk2_zpse8335968.jpg

Mukluk6_zps0982231a.jpg

Mukluk5_zps60e8fbd4.jpg

Mukluk7_zps7006a90e.jpg

Corners

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I love that - really out of the ordinary, and a great spec too!
  • Thanks. Having 2 full sus bikes seemed a bit overkill and using one for winter and having to maintain 2 lots of bearings and shocks seemed daft. The fatty is so easy to clean and maintain by comparison. 3rd ride on it tomorrow; can't wait!

Corners
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I'd definitely consider a fatty to add to the stable if I had space and/or I didn't live in a third floor apartment!

I have a couple of days off coming up and am thinking of renting a fat bike in town to hit some local xc trails for a bit of fun.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Rode one a few weeks back for just a few mins. I'd be tempted to purchase if a full suss wasn't on the cards first :D
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited January 2015
    I ride with quite a few guys on Fatties, most are on Rigids, but one guy has an Hardtail fatty similar to yours (different forks), I had a quick ride on one, was impressed by how smooth it was, and not as draggy as I expected, just not for me!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    I bough myself a Fattie in the summer. I find myself using almost exclusively since october. Lots of fun, easy to maintain, shedloads of traction.
  • Few updates courtesy of Slam Man at http://www.slam69.co.uk. Fatty now sporting retro tan sidewall Surly Nates and blue rim tape. The saddle has been replaced with my go to Charge Spoon, in camo of course. Due to the 4" tyres you really need mudguards in the gloop otherwise you end up sitting in a puddle of mud. Topeak XL 29er out the back and a 'gut fender' up front. Also gone 30T up front and will save the 32T for more loamy trails! Also added a couple of stickers for the haters out there; the futures fat you know!! Now time to ride......

IMG_3215_zpsf2ed006c.jpg

IMG_3214_zps4433be45.jpg

IMG_3221_zps0fee45a0.jpg

IMG_3219_zpsbda3a131.jpg

IMG_3218_zps44aa3b13.jpg

IMG_3222_zps5dfe2092.jpg

IMG_3220_zps2b00dc43.jpg
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Very nice looking bike there, looks better with the tan walls and blue rim tape
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The Rookie wrote:
    I ride with quite a few guys on Fatties, most are on Rigids, but one guy has an Hardtail fatty similar to yours (different forks), I had a quick ride on one, was impressed by how smooth it was, and not as draggy as I expected, just not for me!

I thought the Bluto was the only fat fork? Unless they're modifying a normal one?

The colour combo doesn't work for me, but the build looks good. Friend of mine has a Beargrease carbon fatty, built up with carbon wheels, XX1, Next SL cranks - weighs less than 23lbs, mental. He's still quicker on that than I am on my Superfly too :-(
  • Both great bikes, the Fat model in particular !!