La Marmotte

2»

Comments

• egasa
    egasa Posts: 16
    I don't know that paying for the bike makes a difference to whether or not it gets there. A friend watched his bike being left behind as he sat on his flight to join us in the Alps on our trip last summer. A bike that had been booked into the hold for no little expense.
    So pay and it may not arrive or don't pay and it may not arrive.

But it probably will arrive (like the other 4 bikes we took out last summer).

Enjoy the experience. We will again be attempting the route (though not the actual sportive) after a failed attempt last year when my ride was ended by a maniac driver who forced me into a ditch with an exploded rear tyre). Can't believe I lived to tell the tale. Also can't wait to get back to what is a tremendous riding experience.
  • My first Marmotte was in 2013, when it was the same weekend and the etape. The airports were crazy and I heard of one flight (paid extra for bikes) where 25 of 39 bikes did NOT arrive.

That year was really hot, and I stopped for too long at the stops.
    For me, 2 X 750ml bottles full from the start will get me to the base of the Telegraphe. That stop can be really busy too so last year I rode past and filled up my bottles at a water pump on the side of the road just before the start of the climb itself, before you go under the railway bridge.
  • Isn't there a water stop just as you come into the town at the base of the Telegraph, ust before a roundabout if I recall correctly (since I'm asking this question that is likely to be wrong).

I know there used to be a water stop about half way up Telegraph, although I didn't spot it in 2013.

So there is a water stop at the bridge at the start of the climb, or is it just an unofficial one? (not that it makes a difference just wondering where to plan my stops.
    So this little yellow braclet makes me a better cyclist?
  • There is an official one before the telegraphe, but it can be busy. There is a tap just before the climb starts which is much easier.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    I'm stopping top of Glandon (as it's not timed), Valloire and top of Galibier.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Here's Pt 1 of my mini Marmotte guide after doing it a couple of times and getting two silver medal times.

Before you get there train conscientiously. The Marmotte will probably be the hardest thing you've done on a bike, even very strong riders fall to bits on it, so take it seriously and train well. No need to be doing a century every weekend but get 3-4 sportives done in the UK to test yourself and your nutrition strategy. The Dragon is a good one as its tough and gives you a month before the Marmotte to correct any deficiencies.

On the day.

If staying on the Alpe take a bin bag and some old gloves for the descent to the start at Bourg as it will be cold.

Have a good breakfast and there will be no need to eat until you are at the top of the Glandon.

The Glandon will be the easiest climb as you'll be fresh, it won't have got hot and it has a couple of downhills on it. Beware the first down as afterwards the road ramps up quite steeply and people get caught in too high a gear and come to a stop in front of you.

At the top of the Glandon I had a pee, grabbed some water and scoffed an energy bar. Didn't bother getting into a scrum for the food.

It may be neutralised but go for it and enjoy the Glandon descent- its a great descent and not as scary as a lot of people say although on the way down you will probably see someone being tended to by medics.

Before the timing mat at St Etienne de Cuines take off your gilet and have a bit more food.

Along the the Maurienne valley get in a group and find a big Dutchman to hide from the wind behind. If you think you are cycling alone, look behind, I bet there will be a long line of wheel suckers behind you. Even very good riders will shamelessly wheel suck here.

Watch out for the railway lines crossing the road at Saint-Jean de Maurienne. Someone always comes a cropper here.
  • twotyred
    Pt 2

Fill you bottles at the bottom of the Telegraph. If its a sunny day the Telegraph is where you will first start to really feel the heat. There will also be a water station on the way up.

Don't worry if you get to Valloire and can't see the feed station. Its a bit after the town and you won't miss it.

The section after Valloir up to Plan Lachat I find mentally the hardest as it doesn't look as hard and steep as it feels and it seems to go on forever.

Treat Plan Lachat as the halfway point. There's a water stop there and then the road ramps up onto the Galibier proper. I find this mentally easier to deal with as it feels as hard and steep as it looks. On the way up resist stopping at Chateau Beaufort. Don't look up too often but look down and savour how high you've come and pity the poor bastards slogging away behind you. Don't worry about the altitude on the Galibier, belive me once you are above 2000 metres you won't know what's altitude and what's exhaustion!

At the top of the Galibier take a moment to savour where you are then load up with water, have something to eat, get the gilet on and prepare for a 1 hour downhill.

From the top to the Col du Lauteret is the steepest part but the road is good as it was resurfaced for the 2011 TdF. Again go for it and enjoy the descent. I stopped briefly at the Lauteret to take off my gilet and stuff some food down. The road after the Lauteret is not so steep so easier to take hands off the bars to eat something whilst riding.

Next come the tunnels. No need to stress about them just remember to push your sunnies down your nose a bit so you can look over the top of them and see something.

Once at the bottom the the Alpe there's a feed station if required. If you still have water in your bottles then no need to stop here and haul full bottles up the Alpe as there's a water station about third of the way up.

First 4 ramps on the Alpe are hard especially after that big descent but make sure you look down after the fourth corner and you'll be amazed how far you've ascended- good for morale. Again if its been a sunny day it will get to its hottest here as the heat radiates back from the rock. The gradient eases a bit now and its just a case of head down and grinding it out to the finish. Its now that staying on the Alpe gives you a psychological edge as you know you've got no alternative but to get up it to get a cool beer and your bed!

As for pacing take the Glandon, Telegraph and Galibier at the top of your tempo zone and then empty whatever is left in the tank on the Alpe. Don't go into your threshold zone (unless you feel good at the end) or you'll cook yourself.

For gearing you need to be able to spin at about 70-75 rpm min on the ascents which probably needs a lower ratio than you think- especially when you are tired. The first time I used 34 x 28 minimum then the following year 34 x 32 which let me spin more comfortably. If I did it again i might go for 34 x 34. Don't be embarrassed about using a triple- a lot of the continental riders do and they know more about alpine climbs than we do.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Great advice twotyred, thanks for posting
  • twotyred wrote:
    Watch out for the railway lines crossing the road at Saint-Jean de Maurienne. Someone always comes a cropper here.
    Yep. Been there, done that. :oops: Got kicked in the head by a following rider as he came past. But at least I didn't bring anyone else down.
    twotyred wrote:
    Don't be embarrassed about using a triple...
    Embarrassed :?: :!: :?: More the case that you slaves to fashion are green with envy. :)
  • I agree with the low gears idea. The top of the Galibier and the bottom of the Alpe are steep, and difficult. Having gears you can get on top of makes a big difference.

I've also always ignored the neutralized section. For me, my total time taken in the ride is more important than the official time which excludes that section. There are people who stop there for ages and eat and rest before carrying on, but I don't want to do that.
  • i haven't been on here for a while and have only read the latest posts...

can't thank you enough twotyred for your great insight...
  • twotyred
    Thanks Pechacheli.

Couple more things.

When descending try not to drag your brakes as this will heat up the rims and may cause you to puncture. You will probably see lots of people on the Glandon with punctures because of this- I've seen guys have blowouts in front of me. Better to let speed build and brake purposefully before the corners and try to get your braking done before the turn. If you have to brake for a long period try alternating between front and back brakes to keep the rims cool. If I found myself having to brake when in the turn I tried to use the back brake to avoid the front tyre having to brake and steer at the same time- no idea if this is a good idea but it works for me.

If you are on the Alpe and feel completely knackered don't panic. Just try to keep the pedals turning. If you do that you'll get up it in about an hour and a half. No matter how slowly you think you are pedalling if you get off and walk you'll be a lot slower.
  • pechacheli
    pechacheli Posts: 184
    spot on sir!

braking is quite possibly one of the most important aspects i was keen to know more about so thank you yet again for the quality advice...
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    One more?

If it's a wet day, leave the carbon rims behind, and make sure you've brought a spare pair with a metal brake track.....
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    If its a hot day, do the same.

Obviously, not all rims are equal, but one of our group in 2013 which was a very hot year had both his front and rear rim delaminate going down the Glandon.
  • Leroy42
    Leroy42 Posts: 78
    Leave the Carbon rims at home full stop.

They offer no real advantage on the climbs and are open to generating too much heat through breaking on the descents.

Would be a real shame to do all that training, sacrifice, spend all the money and time and then have the day ruined by carbon rims.

In terms of descending, the top of the Glandon is the trickiest. You're tired after the climb but still full of adrenalin so people tend to fly into this. Stay calm, hold your line. I generally have higher average speeds on descents normally than I do on these, which of course are much shorter, but its the constant switchbacks that mean you have to slow down.

There will be volunteers with yellow flags before the most dangerous corners, pay attention to them. They are generally exactly where you need them to be and you should start to slow down when you see them.

Stay calm. Don't focus on what others are doing around you (I mean don't let it effect you). Try to stay consistent, don't go jumping around the road. There will be people flying past you and you will pass others. If everyone keeps within their limits their is nothing to worry about.

Take time on the wider sections to stretch the hands and neck. Don't forget to eat and drink. There are of course times during the descent when both hands are required on the brakes/bars so eat drink when it's safe.

If you think the gap is too small, then it's to small. You have worked too hard to risk it all for a few bike lengths. If you are quicker than the other guy you will get your chance to pass in a few bends.

Try to keep on the RHS of the road. There is little traffic (on the Glandon Descent), but the road is not closed so you need to keep your options open. Don't worry about holding up the people behind you, that is their concern.

Keep your eyes focused on what coming up. If you can, look down at the next few corners rather than focusing on the very next one. This will help you pick a line which is the smoothest possible. Try to follow the wheels of those in front as the riders snake down the mountain it gives a great line for what is coming up.

If you see/hear a crash don't look around. Keep your focus on your road ahead. If you can comfortably pull over then fine but don't risk yourself or others with looking over your shoulder or slamming on the brakes.

There will be times when you are approaching a corner too fast. Don't panic, stay calm and keep the breaks on and keep the bike upright as possible until you can safely turn in.

At the end of the day, total descents account for less 2 hours of the day. While some time can be saved on the descents its the climbs that will make or break your target. So take your time and get down safely is the number one rule.

Oh, and don't use carbon rims!
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Leroy42 wrote:
    Oh, and don't use carbon rims!

Let's not get too carried away! I do cycle guide work and I've been all over the Alps and Pyrenees using Mavic Ultimates and Lightweight Meilenstein's, and never had a problem.

And this includes going down the Ventoux on a 30'C day at 10-20km/h because of huge crowds on the day of the Tour de France. Hot rims yes, but OK.

A lot depends on your weight and riding style. I'm 62kg and descend reasonably quickly, i.e. not so much braking, but if you're 90kg and like to keep the speed down, then maybe you'd have issues.
  • Leroy42
    Leroy42 Posts: 78
    Fully agree with you bernithbiker.

If one is comfortable with using Carbon rims, and is used to these ling descents that by all means. My answer is based on many people who have never done these types of descents before, coming from UK. Our hills are obviously shorter, but the roads tend to be straighter, less switchbacks. The gradiant and the switchbacks mean a lot of braking and this CAN lead to problems.

Obviously many people use carbon rims with no hassle on the event. But I don't see any real advantage to using them (maybe if you have super light but there are very light alu rims as well) and a possible disadvantage. Why bother taking the risk?

Each to their own, but if unsure (and if you are reading about whether to take them or not I would put in the unsure camp) then better to stick to the easier option
  • pechacheli
    pechacheli Posts: 184
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I don't plan on attacking the decents only because I have can't train for what this ride will offer. I will just enjoy the experience and (hopefully) finish the ride, which is what may main goal is.

I'll be using my Mavic Carbone's which have a metal braking surface although I wish I could afford a set of Ultimates but that's for another time ;)