SRAM X9 Type 2 derailleur

simowill
simowill Posts: 56
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening all,

I'm have a problem with the above, basically the cage pivot points seem to be slightly siezed up the spring cannot pull the cage back down to the higher gear ratios. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what were you fixes. I've hopefully attached a pic to show the problem places
X9%2520type%25202.jpg

Thanks

Simon
Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
Kona Firemountain HT

Comments

• The pivot is pretty tight. Your photo shows cage lock engaged . Either just pedal and it should disengage or give it a hefty shove backwards to disengage. Make sure you only push the pivot bolt not the derailleur body.nb just realised it's off the bike so use latter method. Google type 2 mech probs and you will see you're not alone.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Bit late coming to this thread but I have had the same problem with an X9 10 speed rear mech (not the latest model) that came new on my hardtail last year. The problem was evident from day one.
    Whatever I tried I couldn't get it to change up off the largest sprocket into 2nd gear. It needed a couple of clicks on the shifter to change up to 3rd then back down again. I tried EVERYTHING to get it working including new cable and mech hanger but it was obvious with the back wheel out and the bike in the stand that the mech cage just wasn't moving enough to change from 1st to 2nd gear. Took the mech off the bike and it just didn't feel right moving it by hand either, like it was sticking in the low gear position.
    I have finally taken it back to the retailer and they have agreed it is faulty and are going to replace it with a new one.they said I wasn't the first person to come in with the same problem.
    The following thread seems to show it is not an uncommon issue with the X9 rear mech:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shift ... 96562.html

Pretty disappointed and don't think I'll buy Sram components again.
    Not when my Shimano 8 speed shifters and mech on my old clunker by comparison are still working perfectly after 8 years.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The SRAM mech on my commuter (salt laden roads to be fair) needs a frequent (once a month) lube on the pivot points to keep it working nicely, but as I use a twist shift the lighter spring action is a boon so I'm prepared to accept that it needs a little more TLC.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.