New Bike - Cube or Ghost

mark~p
mark~p Posts: 55
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
I have an Cube Stereo Pro 2012 that has served me well but I am looking to replace it with a 650b.
The obvious choice is another Stereo as I love this one and the kit list still looks good on them.
Options are:
Stereo 140 Pro HPA (2 x 10 SRAM with Rock Shox Pike RC Solo Air)
And then if I really push the boat out
Stereo 140 TM HPC (1 x 11, SRAM, with Rock Shox Pike RC Solo Air Fork)
Stereo 140 Race HPC (2 x 10, Shimano with Fox Float 32 Fork)

The other option is a Ghost Cagua
Cagua 6550 (Shimano 2 x 10 with Fox 34 Talus

There are 160mm travel Stereos as well that give a travel comparison to the Cagua.
Stereo 160 Pro HPA, (Shimano 2 x 10 with Manitou Mattoc fork)
Stereo 160 Race (2 x 10 SRAM with Rock Shox Pike RC Solo Air Fork)

I have no experience of Ghost and they appear to have a very similar approach to Cube. I am 5'7 and my current Stereo is a small. Looking at the geometry, the Cube may go up to a medium but the Ghost would stay at a small.

Any comments welcomed, thanks in advance.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would stick with Cube. It's an evolution of the bike you already have and like. I'm not a big fan of Ghost, I tried a couple and found them rather uninspiring.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    have a think about where you ride. I've got an older ghost asx plus with 140m R 150mm F and it takes me down everything at innerliethen apart from the big drops. Its more than adequate for my skill level so having more travel wouldn't help me and would hinder on other rides. I'd be tempted by the Stereo 140 TM HPC if you can afford it.
  • AD1
    AD1 Posts: 53
    I would avoid the carbon Cubes, seen a lot of breakages! The Stereo 140 HPA got good reviews so might be a good option.
  • mark~p
    Thanks POAH, My nearest trail centre is Sherwood Pines and you can do that on almost anything. I do get over to Coed-y-Brenin a fair bit as well as Forest of Dean, and this is really where I need the bike for. I do not do anything really heavy with huge jumps or bonkers downhill. Any down is always preceded with the peddle up. The Ghost is clearly heavier and the HPA Cube is also a bit heavier than my current Stereo though it is difficult to gauge what an extra half kilo or kilo will be like.

AD1, can you recall which HPA it was, there are loads, all slightly different......
  • mark~p
    Found the reviews and it is the HPA, Pro. Looks a really good performer and is probably the best option. Just need to get the order in and wait for stock. All the 140 Stereos are on back order, some are even closed to new orders. This one looks OK at the moment.
    Thanks for the feedback
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    money saved over the HPC could go towards a better shock like a DB inline
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The Stereo 140 looks like an awesome bike, great spec, great geometry and awesome value, Imo the HPA Pro is the one to go for, getting a Pike, reverb and mostly X0 drivetrain for £2.5K is bloody good value!
  • mark~p
    That id a great idea with the shock. I will have a look at that and it is still in budget.