shimano acera 8 speed rear derailleur help

jjsh
jjsh Posts: 142
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anyone help me with this. I have the above rear deraillier. The derailler itself has a hole, with flat sides, sort of a flattened oval, on its body for the cable pinch bolt. The derailler body hole isnt threaded. The bolt, which has a flat, round head, goes through this from the 'inside' (i.e. where the derallier spring is) and pertrudes out of the bottom. The top of the shaft of this bolt is also a flat oval, so it pushes though, and can't turn.

Then the cable looks like it goes past this bolt, and is pinched between the deraillier body and the usual washer thingy that you see on all rear mechs, you know the one with a slot in it for the cable with turned up ends that stop it turning, then there is the bolt to pinch it all together. The thing it, after taking it apart, the oval part of the shaft pokes through the deraillier body by a few mm, thus even with the bolt fully tightened, as the wahser thingy doesnt pass over the oval part of the bolt shaft, it is impossibe to pinch up the cable. Now, it did work, so something is wrong, so what have I done wrong / dropped on the floor thats missing?

johnsrearmech_zpsce45772d.jpg

Comments

• Has the washer bit rotated 45 degrees? the bent/overlap bit should point towards the cassette
  • jjsh
    jjsh Posts: 142
    Right, I've had the bolt, washer and nut off the bike, and had a good look at it. Somehow, the washer is become distorted which I think is why it doesn't slide over the non threaded part of the shaft, thus preventing it from pinching up the cable. I've found a (new) replacement for buttons on ebay so I've ordered it and will compare new with old when it arrives. :D