Help Boardman Pro 29er vs Boardman 650b?

Kemosabi1
Kemosabi1 Posts: 5
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Through a bike to work scheme at work I can pick up a bike from Halfords. I've narrowed my search down to 2 bikes.

a) Boardman Mountain Bike Pro Hardtail 29er 2014 £999.99

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -2014#tab3

b) Boardman Mountain Bike Team HT 650B 2014 £850

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -650b-2014

The last time I bought a bike was about 7 yrs ago (Specialized Rockhopper) which was stolen last year. Seems there is now more choice so over the past week my research has led me to these 2 options. Ideally I want to make my mind up this weekend as there is 15% off all Boardmans til Wednesday. Key questions I'm struggling with are:

1) both bikes seem well rated, I originally lent towards the 29er as found more reviews. I can't see much in the way of reviews for the 650b but I have a friend who is into mountain biking and he said go 650b, likewise the guy in Halfords did (he did seem to know his stuff). The 29er though does seem to get really well rated - the cost difference isn't really a factor. My typical rides will be some trails, woodland, occasional bike to work on road. I can't decide which is best

2) I'm around 6ft. If I go with the 650b I'm set that 19inch is the right frame size (because previous bike was 19inch). If I go 29er do you go with a smaller frame to compensate for the bigger wheels or is that all taken into account with the design?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The pro has much, much better bits.

So wheel size aside, a much better bike and much better deal. IMO
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for this Cooldad. I assumed the components would be better, wasn't sure if I'd notice but I'm edging towards the 19inch pro and heading into the unknown world of 29ersc - surely must be the better bike?

Any other thoughts all? Either doing this this afternoon or maybe tomorrow night. Any thoughts much appreciated.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Better bike than what?

I've tried 29ers and didn't like them, so have stuck with 26er and just built up a new (to me) one, which wheels size is better of the three depends on usage and preferences, but for the usage you describe the bigger wheels sound the bett bet.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie - thanks for your reply. A better bike that the other bike I refer to in my original post i.e..

b) Boardman Mountain Bike Team HT 650B 2014 £850

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -650b-2014
  • Good question with which one as I've also been looking at Both and Like you am keen to save the extra 15% that's currently on offer, one question I have got though is that I'm sure I read somewhere not to buy a boardman bike from somewhere like halfords because the parts on it wouldn't be as good as buying one from an independant store where the components are actually better ? I'm most likely mistaken but just wanted to check ?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You are mistaken. Some bikes from other stores have poor components, some from halfords have poor components, similarly sme have great components.

Those Boardman bikes are decent.
  • The Rookie
    You can only buy those Boardmans from Halfords anyway, nowhere else (in the UK).

Not sure what you read, but either you misread it, or someone was spouting total BS.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • One thing to bear in mind is that the Boardman 29er is quite long in the top tube, I tried a mates out & found it uncomfortably long but unfortunately Halfords don't have demo bikes you can try. Component wise they are excellently specc'd for the money especially if you wait for the 15% off deal to come round
  • Excellent point Pedal Head - I'm going to Halfords tomorrow after work so will have to have a 'sit' on the 29er, they have a 19inch frame so will give me an idea at least. My gut is telling me to get the better bike for the money which is the 29er but not if its not comfortable - I guess then it will just be a gamble as to whether I like the 29er style of bike - Im sure I'll get used to it, how different can it be ;-)
  • The Rookie
    Very......try and get a ride on any 29er first....
  • Yes very different and I would if at all possible try to blag a ride on a 29er first. In a nutshell they roll better and carry their speed well over the rough stuff but don't change direction as well and take more effort to lift the wheel over or round things. I've an aging Commencal full sus for trail centers and the peaks but the local stuff is relatively tame (I live in the Trent valley) so a 29er makes good sense and compliments the Commie well. The geometry of the Boardman didn't suit me so I settled on a heavily discounted Cube which is fair bit heavier but was also a fair bit cheaper. Be wary of Halfords advice, some but not necessarily all of their staff are relatively inexperienced.