fitting 10spd wheel to a 11spd bike

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
is it at all possible to put my wheel with a 10spd cassette onto a bike set up as 11 spd. i mean is it simply not going to work or does it just slip off the bottom sproket if you go that far
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Think about this. One cassette has 10 sprockets the other has 11. The shifters will pull/allow enough cable relative to the 11speed cassette
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    You can put the wheel in and ride the bike but not all gears will work and shifting will be erratic.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It won't work, in short. Chain may be too wide (for rear mech and cassette) and expect erratic shifting
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    coriordan wrote:
    It won't work, in short. Chain may be too wide (for rear mech and cassette) and expect erratic shifting
    wont it be the ther way around? ie the chain that is 11 speed will be narrower and therefore OK on a 10 sp cassette? but why not get a 11sp cassette ?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Anonymous
    Oh yeah. Whoops.

To be honest, the best way to do it is to simply remove one of the cogs from an 11sp cassette and then use that, then adjust the limiters on the rear mech so you don't overshift. 10 speed cassette with 11sp spacing.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    I wouldn't worry about the chain and mech, it's pretty standard to be able to go 1 speed either way without too much trouble.
    What won't work is the indexing and the limit screws will be out too.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    coriordan wrote:
    Oh yeah. Whoops.

To be honest, the best way to do it is to simply remove one of the cogs from an 11sp cassette and then use that, then adjust the limiters on the rear mech so you don't overshift. 10 speed cassette with 11sp spacing.
    That's not the best advice for a guy like Ian who doesn't seem to know a great deal about bikes and cycling in general.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Anonymous
    Well then he can learn if he wants. The answer is you can, and its not that hard. I was considering doing the same, as I was gonna dispose of my winter bike and just have the one, but my winter wheels are 10sp only.

Decided to keep the winter bike.