Wheel advice please. Getting a second set.

Dippydog3
Dippydog3 Posts: 414
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
My Diverge has Axis 4.0 disc wheels as supplied with the bike. I have changed the tyres to Challenge Strade Bianca 30mm which I am very pleased with.

The wheels weigh about 900g front and 1100g rear, I think, including the disc rotors, but excluding cassette and thru axles, tyres and tubes.

In April I will be doing a fair few kilometres on the cobbles, and I am not sure if this are the right wheels to use.

Option one is to use these wheels, if they are reslly suitable, and then perhaps buy another pair that I keep for other road riding in wet or dirty conditions (saving my best bike for clean roads and dry days).

Option two is to get a set of wheels that would be better suited to the cobbles (if the Axis ones aren't).

Look forward to hearing your opinions on which option is appropriate and what wheels to have built to suit the job.

Thanks.

Comments

• They are absolutely fine, but get them checked by someone who knows his stuff. Low tension is the spokes killer, healthy tension = long living wheels
    left the forum March 2023
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    They are absolutely fine, but get them checked by someone who knows his stuff. Low tension is the spokes killer, healthy tension = long living wheels
    Oh no! Disaster!

I have no real reason to buy another set of wheels!

Surely n+1 is valid for major components as well? :D
  • Sure...

Today I built a set of the Pacenti CL 25 rims on offer at half price at Planet X. Nice rims, not as good as other more expensive tubeless rims like the Pacenti SL 25 or Velocity Aileron, but for the money they are light, wide, tubeless and look nice. Crucially you can save nearly a pound in weight... grab a pair while the offer lasts!

Happy? :wink:
    left the forum March 2023