Headwinds: equivalent gradient

fatsmoker
fatsmoker Posts: 585
edited January 2015 in Road general
So as I battled through a 20mph headwind over about 6 miles on the way home from work today I wondered what sort of gradient that would be similar to going up. The wind had me in the 34T front ring and somewhere around the middle of the rear. About 4%?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Why does it have to equate to anything? It is what it is.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    They say that is how the Dutch get good at Alpine stages of the Tour, riding into the winds. So I think it is a good question!

I had a mega tail wind tonight so am one happy b@stard!
  • I did a two hour loop the other day and had a headwind all the way, bloody weather!
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    On the way home today I was on the small ring and pedalling quite hard to keep moving.

First time this has happened to me going downhill. Wind speed between 30 and 40 knots.
  • Dippydog3 wrote:
    On the way home today I was on the small ring and pedalling quite hard to keep moving.

Wind speed between 30 and 40 knots.
    Knots? Were you on a pedallo?
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    It's currently blowing 50-60mph outside here, I wouldn't fancy trying to ride into it but all I keep thinking is how much fun it would be with it directly behind me! Getting blown into traffic doesn't really appeal though.
  • My casual ride home takes me 1 hour 5 minutes or so.

Today it took 1 hr 40.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    fatsmoker wrote:
    So as I battled through a 20mph headwind over about 6 miles on the way home from work today I wondered what sort of gradient that would be similar to going up. The wind had me in the 34T front ring and somewhere around the middle of the rear. About 4%?

You've already answered your own question as scientifically as possible, because there are so many factors. For example, compared to an aero dressed low positioned small guy, a big non bendable fatty with casual fit clothing riding in a sportivesque mary poppins position will find the same wind to be a lot steeper!
  • Left work at 10pm last night for 25 commute home f**k me the wind was iffy. It still amazes me how much it effects a road bike. It was warm too so I got home cooking, drenched in sweat and bolloxed .
    At one point I was slowing for a junction and a massive gust brought me to a stop then whipped around left and right - only just got a foot down in time to stop an embarrassing tumble. Mrs rbj was up and waiting for me - called me f'ing mad :)
  • mcvw
    mcvw Posts: 270
    Very windy indeed! I did three laps around Richmond Park yesterday. After the first lap (CW direction) I thought, "fcuk me, that was hard work, but I bet it's great in the other direction". It wasn't at all!! Still, a damn good - DRY - workout - even if not as quick as I'd hoped :)
    2016 Handsling Bikes A1R0
    2014 Giant Defy Composite 1
    On One 4560b
  • We had some fairly bad winds down here the last few days too. I think it's part of the reason I have a horrendous fever, lack of sleep, and a general cold. Nothing like some good old character building.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,878
    character building!

Commuted on Wednesday and at one point I was doing 12mph on a straight with a heart rate of 155, with 27 miles to go. Horrible, but loved it.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    matthew h wrote:
    character building!

Too true - builds mental toughness. Given the choice of a hill or the wind, give me a hill any day. The flat open space of N Holland where you often only have ditches for cover are brutal at this time of year. But 50 miles home in that type of wind is great for the head.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Ha, I recall cycling from Amsterdam home to Almere one morning in a really strong tail wind, wish Strava had been around in those days.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    ChippyK wrote:
    Ha, I recall cycling from Amsterdam home to Almere one morning in a really strong tail wind, wish Strava had been around in those days.

There's always someone (or, more often, a group) that's been out in a stronger wind :roll: :wink::D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • 6.67%

I have just made up the x 3 rule

10 mph = 3.33%
    20 mph = 6.67%
    30 mph = 10%
    40 mph = 13.34%
    50 mph = 16.67%
    60 mph = 20%

Of course it makes no sense at all over 30 mph, but I think it's reasonably accurate. How you can measure the effective head wind is a different story as it will always come from an angle.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    How you can measure the effective head wind is a different story as it will always come from an angle.

Unless its directly ahead of course.

Actually, measuring effective wind, which is known as apparent wind, is easy. Just open the Wind Meter app on your iphone. Point it in the direction you are going and pedal away.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    DaveP1 wrote:
    They say that is how the Dutch get good at Alpine stages of the Tour, riding into the winds. So I think it is a good question!

Yes. We all remember that famous dutch King of the Mountains winner erm, er, um...
  • imposter2.0
    DaveP1 wrote:

Yes. We all remember that famous dutch King of the Mountains winner erm, er, um...

Steven Rooks..??....Gert-Jan Theunisse..??
  • Anonymous
    And how many tdf or giro kom did they win precisely?
  • Anonymous
    Ill save you the trouble. 0

A dutch rider has never won the kom jersey in the tdf or giro
  • Anonymous
    BTW

DOPERS DO NOT COUNT!!!
  • imposter2.0

They both won a TdF KoM title each. 88 & 89.
  • Anonymous
    Imposter wrote:

As I said. DOPERS DO NOT COUNT
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

As I said. DOPERS DO NOT COUNT

Ha ha - whatever. Poor attempt at a recovery. Better rule out every winner of every major race since the 60s then, potentially. That way, you can be ignorant and still be correct.
  • Anonymous
    Is that your best effort?

Very poor

I did say it before you even bumped your gums. And if someone cheats and have their victories erased from the record books such as Lance has then you cannot call them winners. If you are so fickle as to then believe that everyone who ever won is a doper also then why do you follow this sport? Go take up speed knitting or something.
  • imposter2.0
    Rooks and Theunisse's names are not 'erased' from the record books though, so their victories still stand - so either two dutchmen did win TdF KoM titles - or they didn't - which is it?

Anyway, you sound like one of those "I must be right at any cost" types. My work is done, so I'll leave you to it... :lol:
  • Lol Maglia Rosa, don't be so naive. Doping was common place up until 5 years ago. Even the greatest legends such as Eddy Merckx at one point doped. We shouldn't wipe cyclings history away because of doping when everyone did it one way or another.
  • Is that your best effort?

Very poor

I did say it before you even bumped your gums. And if someone cheats and have their victories erased from the record books such as Lance has then you cannot call them winners. If you are so fickle as to then believe that everyone who ever won is a doper also then why do you follow this sport? Go take up speed knitting or something.

FFS where did you come from? Just what this forum needs, another prize bell end.
  • Anonymous
    I think you are right. Between yourself and Imposter that position seems to be filled already. If that is your only input into a thread you have not posted on until now to just have a go at someone else you are not one to talk fella.