Rear Mud Guard...

Angus Young
Angus Young Posts: 3,063
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone have recommendations for a rear mudguard? Don't care what it looks like, just want to know what you think is the most effective.

It's for the recently repurposed Trek 4300. While I don't care about getting muck up my rear end, my other half is using the bike to get to the station in the mornings and the last thing she wants to deal with is a soggy tail when she gets on the train. She understands that she's never going to be 100% dry, but close is good enough. Thanks.

EDIT: The bike has V-brakes so guards such as the Mudhugger are out.
All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Crudcatcher always worked for me.

And then I put Reverbs on my bikes.............
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Angus Young
    Reverbs? What's that?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Dropper posts so they don't take a clamp. For commuting I use Top Peak M8 I think - it's very good. Proper QR rather than banded and very sturdy
  • Angus Young
    Dropper posts so they don't take a clamp.

Ah, yes, I thought it was something else going by the name of 'Reverb' connected to mudguards.

Thanks for the recommendations folks, I will look them up.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I thought wrong.

This is what I've got:

Topeak Defender M2 Rear
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I thought wrong.

This is what I've got:

Topeak Defender M2 Rear

My missus runs the Defender on her hybrid commuting bike. She's had one nicked when she forgot to take it off (the only she couldn't put it in the bike store at work) but otherwise it's excellent. Hers is the 29er version.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    Colnago Addict!
  • Angus Young
    I have the Enduro Guard on the front of my Kona and I've been very impressed with how effective it is in keeping the crap out of my face. I made a front guard for the Trek following a template in mbr and, while it does a decent job of keeping the crap out of your face, the Endure is a definite step up in performance.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For the trek, try a 'beavertail' or similar, much better coverage than an MTB type mudguard.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    The Rookie wrote:
    For the trek, try a 'beavertail' or similar, much better coverage than an MTB type mudguard.

Interesting, and cheap, too.
  • gazcarsf1
    gazcarsf1 Posts: 130
    Mudhugger!!!!
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a beavertail on my town hack (1997 rigid MTB) and it works just great, wouldn't take it off-road though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    +1 Mudhugger
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Angus Young
    Can't do a Mudhugger as the bike has V-brakes and a Mudhugger won't work with them.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Hi,

I've got a set of Beavertail Xl gualrds, I like them a lot, they have good coverage for what I would call leisure riding, tow path/bridalway type stuff. They will probably probably a bit restrictive for the hard core off road crew though.

I managed a 55k ride partly tow path and partly the Pennine bridal way which was pretty damp and muddy in places and was quite supprised.

The crank and rear disk area were obviously quite well caked, but the rest of the bike was pretty clean.
    I got caked up to about half way up my shins, and other than a tiny bit of spray up my back, and I mean tiny, I was clean too.

Herre is a pic, as you can see they sit quite close to the tyre but it suits my type of riding and keeps me clean ..

IMG_20150111_115819_zps02ofxw15.jpg
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I have one of these on my commuter and it works pretty well...

http://ass-savers.com/

Cheap, discrete and tool free-fitting.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8