Hi and a quick question.

Fubar1977
Fubar1977 Posts: 3
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Getting back into MTB`s after a 17 year break and I`m really enjoying being back in the saddle after all this time away.
After lurking on here for a good while and reading a good number of reviews I went for a Voodoo Bantu 26" (2014 model) and I`m very happy with it so far, put a fair few miles on it and it`s going well.
My use is generally light off roading and bridleways etc. with a bit of on road use too.

The only thing I`d like to look at upgrading really (other than the tyres) are the forks.
I have had a go on a friends bike which was fitted with a set of RockShox Gold 30 Solo Air forks and I was really impressed with them, felt much nicer than the Suntour XCR - LO - R coil forks fitted to mine.

Looking on CRC they seem to come in around the £200 mark.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rock ... prod109665

Selecting the 26" option on CRC leaves me with 100mm/1.1/8"/100mm/9mm QR-Crown Lockout.
Is this ok for fitting on the Bantu?

I am aware there is perhaps a degree of insanity in fitting a £200 set of forks to a £400 bike but I can always refit the Suntours when I come to change bikes and either sell the Rockshox or move them on to another bike at a later date.

In short, is it a worthwhile upgrade and is the option above correct to fit to my bike?
I would also need a compatible pump for the forks. I presume most shock pumps would be compatible.

I am reasonably competent with the spanners so I presume it`s a swap I could do myself. I have done a fair bit of basic maintenance on my bikes in the past but have never swapped a set of forks.
I presume the Tektro HDC300 brake caliper will be a straight forward fit to the new forks?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.
Rob

Comments