Alternatives to shimano BBs?

zerge83
zerge83 Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Have any of you came across with any BB that is compatible with hollowtech-II cranks (BSA threaded, sm-bb52 for example) and can survive more than 3 washes with normal hose (no high pres.). I don't even point the water directly to the bb and still after 3-4 washes they get blocked, at this point after a few crank revolutions they come back to life. But soon they become horrible. Is there any other brand that is compatible and more waterproof?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It sounds like you have other issues, maybe your frame needs facing, as I know of no-one who wrecks BB's that fast.

Alternatives, yes, the higher level Shimano BB is better than the low level (Deore) one, they only do two, or pay for a Hope.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Aren't there 3? Deore, SLX/XT and XTR? I use the XT ones and they go for yonks.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Is it a Deore by any chance? They're awful but the XT/SLX and XTR are ace, they go on forever. There are plenty of alternatives from other brands but if you're finding the better Shimano ones only last a few rides then you're going to have the same problems with any other bottom bracket.

Shimano do loads of bottom bracket's. There's the Deore, SLX/XT/Zee, XTR and Saint. And then there's all the different fitting types as well as other levels for different fittings like Square Taper.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    As above, the Deores last a couple of months at most but SLX/XT and better last ages (18-24 months in my experience).
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I get at least a year out of SLX/XT bottom brackets. I'm using an XTR bottom bracket at the moment and that feels like new after six months of riding twice a week in all weather.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Hmm I've had a deore bb52 on my bike for ages and it's still working fine, it must be about a year it's been on the bike.

I do have a xt bb in my spares box that I was going to put on the bike.

I've seen a new model deore bb, maybe these are better sealed now?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Token doa good BB and bearings are fully replacable as well. I also use a XTR BB on a faced BB shell and 6 months and some real filth including BB deep floods and it is still like new. The Token BB lasted a long while too.

The sealing is not the problem the quality of the bearings in the cups is with Deore BB's. If you want really relaible go back to old square taper BB and square taper chainsets are pretty cheap and some of them like the old M737 or M730 XT are perfection. Also use a bucket and brush to wash your bike. A friend who hoses his down, found last when it was really cold (last sunday) he had no gears as the water that got in the shifter had frozen. So hoses bad, bucket good.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Also use a bucket and brush to wash your bike. A friend who hoses his down, found last when it was really cold (last sunday) he had no gears as the water that got in the shifter had frozen. So hoses bad, bucket good.

:?: :?: :?:

Do you not put water in the bucket to wash the bike with?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • swod1
    Must have been using a high pressure hose pipe to wreck some bb bearings that quick.

I've seen people use them pressure washer things to clean bikes but never used one of them on my own gear.
  • Also use a bucket and brush to wash your bike. A friend who hoses his down, found last when it was really cold (last sunday) he had no gears as the water that got in the shifter had frozen. So hoses bad, bucket good.

:?: :?: :?:

Do you not put water in the bucket to wash the bike with?

I guess a hose forces water in places it shouldn't be. I did a CX race Sunday, hosed my CX bike down in the evening. Today I was commuting into work and the gears were not working properly, and I expect its water in the inners has frozen :evil: - must take more care cleaning next time.
  • am7
    am7 Posts: 59
    I replaced my XT BB after 3 years, gritty but would have lasted many more years.
    Upgraded to XTR to see if any difference (also liked the black colour compared to the silver of the XT).
    The XTR is twice the price of the XT but still less than an XT cassette so couldn't argue with that.
  • swod1
    that's good to hear, I've just changed a deore bb on my bike that gets used about 4 times a week to work and back.

Managed to get about 3000 miles out of it, the bearings didn't go rough just developed about 2-3mm of play in them.