Paris Roubaix 2015 - where to watch?

page23
page23 Posts: 182
edited March 2015 in Pro race
Dear all,

Very keen to go and watch PR this year and as such would be interested to hear thoughts regarding where best to go. The most obvious choice would be through one of the cobbled sectors but which one? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• 2015 route isn't out yet, but based on the 2014 route (don't think it will change much) I would suggest it's easy enough to see it a number of times. I would start at Troisville, the first sector of the race. Route crosses the D643 here...

http://goo.gl/maps/14u7B

Plenty of place to park, easy to get to, easy to get away from. From there it depends on how ambitious you want to be. 3 or 4 sections are easy enough or you could just play it safe and go to a couple of other places. Depends on what you want to see. Sars-et-Rosières and Brillon are just off the A23, Ennevelin is another good one. I would avoid Arenberg. To get there is easy enough, but to really see some action, rather than just watch 3 rows back over someone's head, you need to walk further into the forest. Not worth it in my opinion. Better to go to other places where you can see more and have more time to get to the next sector.

Haven't been to the finish for a few years, but I think you can still get into the velodrome easy enough. I've tended to go to the Carrefour de l'Arbre instead. Oh and the start is pretty easy to. The teams assemble in a square in Compiegne, but a good number of teams park outside, so a good opportunity for photos and autographs if that's your thing.

How long are you planning on going? Just the weekend? I would suggest, if possible, the best thing to do is head over during the week before, watch the teams out on the course doing their recce on the Thursday/Friday, ride a few sectors and maybe do your own race recce so you know where your going on the Sunday.
  • page23
    Thanks for the reply, that's very helpful and interesting. The initial plan is for the weekend but a few days before would certainly be worth considering.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Go to Flanders instead!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I have no advice myself, but this question has been frequently asked in the past. If you do a search of the forum for 'Roubaix' in the thread title, you'll find a mine of information.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Do they still have some races on at he velodrome in anticipation of the race arriving? I think they used to
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    The area around Orchies (where there is a Feed station) and the racing becomes serious from then on.
    For P-R and 4 Jour Dunkerque I've stayed in Marchiennes or near Lille Airport. (when the P-R course went near)
    I havn't been to RVV or Roubaix for some years and since the popularity brought German, Dutch and GB coaches to the courses and the Grid Lock that happens.
    However, if I did go for 2/3 days then my object for any race is to check out the course and then locate the Bars in the area that have TV's so that if I should get caught in heavy traffic then I know where I will finish my day.
    But remember that in my day you could potter around the lanes on the Saturday before the event and only meet local clubmen. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • page23
    Thanks again, guys. Very helpful info.
  • Greased is probably our PR correspondent, so I'd trust his info religiously.
  • Quick bump on this thread.

We are heading out to watch this year, just a weekend trip staying in the Lille area.

Looking to watch the Gruzon cobble section but would like to ride the last 4 sections into Roubaix it's self.

Question is are you actually allowed to ride the course on the Saturday before the race?
  • Rode on the Saturday a few years back without any problems. Think it was the first year they ran the PR Challenge. Didn't ride the sections around Gruson, we did some of the sectors around Arenberg and Pont-à-Marcq, but you should be OK. Not sure if you'll be able to get into the Velodrome though, if that's what you are intending to do.
  • Thanks Greased
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    Anyone know where I can find a detailed map route?
  • Best place to look it the Le Tour, Paris Roubaix website. 2015 route isn't out yet, but there are details of the 2014 on there.

http://www.letour.fr/paris-roubaix/2015/us/

Interestingly, there are 1.6km more cobblestones than last year. Different sections around the halfway point, near Valenciennes.
  • Ahh, just noticed this...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/paris-r ... ce-cobbles

Which says...

"ASO confirmed that the 2015 Paris-Roubaix route is identical to that of 2013"

2013 route here...

http://www.velowire.com/article/713/en/ ... north.html
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    Thanks Greased.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Greased is probably our PR correspondent, so I'd trust his info religiously.
    Did I ever mention, watching the Great Rik Van Looy. oh, I really shouldn't and I would agree the Scotsman is more up to date.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Bit of a thread bump...

greasedscotsman or anyone else. Thinking of going out to watch the start, then heading out to 1-2 places to watch before ending up at the Carrefour de l'Arbre/Gruson. A couple of questions - what vehicle were you using to get about? Is it easy enough to travel in a car, park up and then get away to see the next point? Do you know which points will have a big screen? Tempted to watch start then watch at one sector with a big screen before/after they've gone through.
  • hammerite wrote:
    Is it easy enough to travel in a car, park up and then get away to see the next point?

Yes, it's easy enough to do. Some bits of the course are easier than others, like Arenberg attracts a lot of people. So parking might be a bit harder than other places or you might get stuck in traffic getting from there. But all that does is affect what you can do either before or after. I wouldn't be put off if that's where I wanted to see the race.
    hammerite wrote:
    Do you know which points will have a big screen? Tempted to watch start then watch at one sector with a big screen before/after they've gone through.

Only place I've seen a big screen is at the velodrome. They might set one up at Arenberg, but haven't been there for a few years. I think most people move on, try to see the race a number of times. It's not like Flanders where you can see it a number of times in one place.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I posted this on the classics thread BUT -

Does anyone know anywhere in Paris that shows the race, like a sports cafe or similar? I'll be in Paris on the day but I hear they're not that fussed on cycling really...
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Thanks greasedscotsman.

Okgo - I've found if in doubt head to one of the bars/cafes that is also a PMU betting shop.