Noob rear shock question

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited January 2015 in MTB beginners
How do I know what size rear shock is on my Canyon Nerve AL 6.0? Fox give lovely details about how to set the sag, but without knowing what size the shock is, I can't measure the sag!

Of course, I can just visually determine what "looks like" 20% of the travel, but I can't help thinking I'm missing something. The pressure we put in was 150psi, for a 59kg rider. But unlike the nice helpful stickers on the RS Rebas up front, I'm a little confused!
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Let the air out, measure the travel, pump up, set sag.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    Ta!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The trouble is that a rear shock operates through a leverage ratio, anything from 2:1 to 3:1 so the shock manufacturer can't tell where it's going and suggest a pressure that will work.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    Makes sense. Though it would have been helpful for Fox to include that advice on their website, rather than just telling me that the max pressure is 300psi and that 15% of 1 inch is 0.15inch!

Next noob question - the bike came supplied with a small foil sachet of carbon assembly paste. There is no carbon on the bike! But the setup manual did say, even for non-carbon seatposts, that assembly paste should be used on the seatpost. I've not come across the gritty assembly paste before, but we did assemble on that basis. I presume that this is "acceptable", or should I degrease it off and use some bog standard red grease instead?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would just leave it. Mine are lubricated with damp grit anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Just back to your original question on the shock setup.

Have you tried Fox's iRD App? I just used it to set mine up, and it was pretty straight forward. I'am yet to give it a proper testing, but it does seem a little on the firm side.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    its most likely a 190x51 shock size for 120mm travel. Measure the i2i of the shock and you'll be able to see. Then you can set sag say 25% which is 12.75mm using the O-ring
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    You could of just looked on canyons website that lists the shock as being 190 x 51 as POAH thought.
  • larkim
    I did, but didn't find that - but "doh", now you mention it - it's under the geometry section down at the bottom - I was expecting it to be in the equipment section.

Thanks for making me look like an idiot that can't read ;-)
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    larkim wrote:
    Thanks for making me look like an idiot that can't read ;-)

Wasn't intentional but you're welcome.