How often do you replace the cassette?

am7
am7 Posts: 59
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Just put in a new chain and had to replace both the cassette and all the crank chainrings as they were so damaged that pedalling was impossible let alone shifting, the chain would not spin a single rotation without catching/jamming somewhere. Old chain no problems with shifting/pedaling.
I always knew you had to replace chain regularly and cassette every 2-3 chains? but thought I would neglect this as it is not applicable to me, recreation rider very few miles.
So after spending a not insignificant amount and learning my lesson I bought I tool to measure chain wear. This will allow me to replace the chain before it causes damage to the cassette and chainrings.
Hopefully I won't have to replace the chainrings as these are stronger? but what about the cassette?
What is the rule of thumb? Per how many chains replaced should I replace it? I know you can visually inspect it shark teeth etc. but unless there is a tooth missing it all looks the same to me.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You just keep swapping chains when they are worn (called stretched, although its not really) until you get a problem, its the chain that wears it, so keep on top of the chain swaps, and worry about the cassette and rings only when they take objection to a new chain.

The cassette on my commuter (bought used at unknown mileage) managed 3500 miles before I started to get mild skipping in my most used gear when I next swapped the chain, so I put the old chain back on, got a new cassette and swapped that on with the new chain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Or you use the same chain and cassette till you get problems. Often longer than you think it'll be. You do end up with a really sloppy chain at the end and it will do more damage to chain rings and jockeys than replacing when it gets close to worn though.
  • Or just replace the cassette every time you replace the chain save all the bother.
  • The Rookie
    That's just a crazy waste of money
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    And bad for the environment even if you are running 8spd, 8 quid cassettes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not really. I do the same, but use cheap chains and cassettes. Normally costs about £25 and last me a year or two.
    Some rarely used bikes - a decade.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Fine by me as I stick to used XT cassettes.....
  • And bad for the environment even if you are running 8spd, 8 quid cassettes.

£8 on a new cassette means it's not worth the bother hanging onto the old one, might as well swap it out.
  • The Rookie
    Why, its still £8, swap chain, if it works OK, carry on riding, if not buy another!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've generally been an advocate of 'run it all into the ground and replace the lot', until ludicrously expensive cassettes made that a daft method.

The XTR cassette and X10SL chain on my Top Fuel did 3 years like that, I'd guess at 4500 miles or so, I wasn't complaining.

On the road I get over 5000 miles out of a chain without it wearing the cassette out.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    It seems counter intuitive to me with everything being about 10% narrower but I am getting better mileage out of 10 speed kit than I ever got out of equivalent spec (X9, XT level) 9 speed. My current SRAM cassette XT rings and KMC chain seems to be everlasting, over 1,300 miles and still shifting sweetly and silently. Whereas the 9 speed kit would have chainsucked from about 900 to 1,000 miles.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    When used to do a lot more MTB as soon as the trails dried out enough I replaced the cassette and chain each year so I didn't have to think about them again. Now doing less MTB I just wait for wear.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I just check the chain until it gets a little stretched .5 on the chain wear tool thing and buy a new one and run until the cassette get really worn in the most used gears which happen to be 5-10 for me.

I did notice 10 speed wearing better until I had some rivets fail on an xt cassette I was using so gone to slx which I haven't noticed any difference between
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not overly perceptive then? It's a totally different construction :?