cycling with bruised calf

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited January 2015 in Health, fitness & training
I've badly bruised my calf falling off yesterday (got caught between top tube and saddle :roll: ) . Its not excruicatingly painful and I think I could cycle on it but should I? Want to race next weekend (18th) so not sure whether to give riding a miss this weekend or not.

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Give it a miss - Rest it a couple of days and then do some light effort. Nothing you can do in a week is going to affect your fitness in a race, but you can hinder recovery.
  • Ferrals
    Thanks, more or less waht i thought. pain getting worse anyway so just hope I am better by race. very minimal actual bruising has appeared so I assume it is deeper in calf and so need to treat with a bit more respect than a surficial bruise.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If only I followed my own advice - I have tendonitis in my elbow and every time I go to they gym and do a back and biceps day - I tell myself to go light on the biceps ;) No chance. its slowly getting worse.

Anti-inflammatory painkillers are good for deeper injuries to reduce swelling.
  • Ferrals
    It's been so rank outside I've not ridden, lots of icing and laziness (watching uci xco re-plays in redbull al afternoon) and the pain has gone down. Going to leave it till tues and that will be a full week and then test it on the exercise bike