Fox Talas forks won't hold air

benvendetta
benvendetta Posts: 13
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi. I have a pair of 150mm travel Fox Talas forks on my Turner 5 Spot. Having not used the bike in a while at Christmas I tried to add air to get the correct sag. Unfortunately I can get no air in at all and the forks are now empty. It is not my shock pump as I can use it on the rear Fox shock and I have tried another one too with the same results.
I was thinking that it could be a bit of grit in the valve but does anyone else have any ideas before I resort to Mojo?
Turner 5 Spot (Shimano XTR/XT/Saint)
Planet X Pro Carbon (Shimano Ultegra)
Cannondale CAAD9 (Shimano Tiagra)
Boardman Hybrid Team (Sram Apex)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why not try just unscrewing and replacing the valve core? £2 tool and 30 seconds......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I didn't know that this could be done. Do you have any links to this, You Tube, etc?
  • The Rookie
    You just get the tool, insert into the top of teh hole and unscrew the core and screw ina new one, you don't need a video!

Tool http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage ... valve-tool the bit pointing away in the photo is a 'negative screwdriver' and aligns with the bar you can see if you look in the valve hole, the tool is hollow so the centre core of the valve passes up inside.

Easy to test if the vale is leaking, pressurise the forks and wipe a bit of spit over the end, if it blows a bubble the valve is leaking!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks. Ordered one off Ebay along with some spare cores. Much cheaper than Halfords. If this doesn't solve the problem I guess it could be the o-ring at the bottom of the air shaft in the left leg. I have serviced Fox forks before so this shouldn't be a problem and there is info on the Fox website. If all else fails, as I live in SE Wales, I am not far from Mojo.
    When I have the tool and tried it I will let you know the result.
  • The Rookie
    Add a little oil to the air spring, sometimes its all that is needed to get the seal to work again.
  • Core tool and spare cores arrived today. 10 minute job to replace the one in the forks and hey presto, I can get them back up to pressure.
    Thanks for your help. Will be great to get out on the 5 Spot again!
  • The Rookie
    Happy to help, and a cheap fix!