Canyon in-stock delivery - just some experience notes

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,485
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
Just thought I'd post this separately from the Canyon thread in case anyone wanted to see what sorts of timescales could be expected with a Canyon delivery for an in-stock bike. Could be completely unhelpful, but thought it might be of mild interest.

Ordered the bike from Canyon on 30th December (outside of working hours), selecting one that was shown as in stock and required no amendments.

Immediately received an order acknowledgement, noting that I should wait to hear for further confirmation.

Received the order confirmation 2 working days later (Fri 2nd Jan), and also got a security call from my credit card company on that day checking that the transaction was legit. So that presumably was the day my card was charged by Canyon.

This email noted the planned shipping date, vaguely stated as the 2nd week of 2015 (as expected).

Two further working days later (Tues 6th Jan)got a note that the bike was "being assembled" and that within 48 hours I'd be notified of shipping confirmation.

On that same day, received a note from Canyon with the delivery tracking details, noting that it could take 24 hours for the tracking link to be live.

About 30 hours later (late Weds 7th Jan), the tracking link was live showing the bike had arrived in the Midlands with UPS. Next morning (Thurs 8th Jan) it was showing as being about 30 miles from our house.

After showing as being at Manchester since 5:30am on Thurs 8th Jan, there were no more online updates (checked regularly!) until about 1pm when the live tracking magically showed "delivered" - it has been delivered to the house across the road, which I was surprised about, but at least happy that it has arrived.

So 6 working days from order to delivered. Not bad, considering the time of year too!

Every online stage did seem to take just a little longer than promised, and there was very little transparency in terms of being able to track the progress of the order online as you can do with many retailers. Even the UPS stuff was a bit rubbish really - the point of online tracking surely is to get plenty of advance notice when a delivery is planned for so you can try to make arrangements (or defer delivery to a more convenient time). However, can't complain as the overall timescale was excellent.

I can see an evening ride coming on...
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• Just to confirm the post above, my experience was as follows:

Placed order on Tues 14th April at about 9:20 pm for an Endurace CF 8.0 showing as being in stock on the Canyon website. Credit card was initially rejected but got that resolved after talking to my bank and assuring them its wasn't a fraudulent transaction! Got a confirmation email saying more information to follow.

Got second confirmation email on Thurs 16th at about 2:30 pm confirming the order details and, giving a list of the things that happen next and containing an attachment with a shipping date of "Week 17" (20th - 26th April according to outlook calendar).

Monday 20th at about 7:15 am another email saying the bike is being assembled and will be shipped within 48 hours.

Monday 20th at about 2:30 pm received email saying bike shipped and providing a UPS tracking link with a note saying the tracking details could take up to 24 hours to be updated.

The tracking link was a bit useless as the above poster suggested. It took over 24 hours to be updated, and was finally changed some time early in the morning (between 2:00 am and 6:00 am) on Wed 22nd to show the package was now in Tamworth and would be delivered the same day.

Bike arrived unscathed at my office at about 11:45 am. Fortunately the box just fits in a Toyota Yaris with the back seats down!
  • Ordered bike, bike turned up?

Interesting :wink:
  • Very useful, thanks larkim and CaptainWheezy.

There's a two week window when I'd be around to receive a delivery, and this lets me know how far ahead of that to order an in-stock bike.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    :mrgreen: Another year-old thread? Really?
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    So a year ago, before they turned to sh1t they were delivering on time?
    I know people who are still without bikes after more than four months and still no idea when they will arrive after Canyon have already took a few grand from their bank accounts.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Kickaxe wrote:
    :mrgreen: Another year-old thread? Really?
    Maybe he works for Canyon and wanted to get it to the top to make it look like they had fixed all the problems they have created?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.