27,5 MTB - what's size for woman?

ps95
ps95 Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi! I would like to buy new MTB - http://www.merida-bikes.com.es/biciclet ... -seven-100
I wonder what frame size would be better for me? 15" or 17" I am 164 cm tall woman, 75/76 cm leg inside length.
Using frame size calculator it's 17", but merida recommend 15" for 164cm height. :?

Please, any opinions?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ideally sit on one. Reach is probably more important than size.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    Ideally sit on one. Reach is much more important than size.
    FTFY

You have endless (nearly) scope for changing the height of the saddle, but changing the cockpit length costs money and may be impossible to get right, err on the slightly short side if anything.

Compare the effective top tube length (AH on the Geometria tab - measure it horizontally to the setapost as per the diagram not the length of the top tube) to your current (?) bike, noting that the Merida has an inline seatpost so if the current bike has a setback you need to add 20mm (ish) to your current bikes value.

Personally I would say that the 17" would be too big and recommend the 15", but it's what is right for you that counts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.