cube 140 hpc tm 27.5 carbon

pgodwin555
pgodwin555 Posts: 66
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi
There doesn't seem to be much on the net about these. I saw the recent review on bikeradar for the aluminium frame. Had a canyon spectral ex 8 and nukeproof tr pro on my short list but these look like cracking value.
Anyone ordered or got one? Advice feedback would be helpful.

http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/fullsuspens ... hred-2015/

Cheers
Paul

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They seem like good value but the short top tube would put me off, 23mm shorter than my Mega TR for the same size. The 67.5 degree head angle isn't particularly slack either.
  • yeah I did look at that and spot the short top tube. The geo doesn't look much different from the TR Pro which is 67 Ha but again there are more factors at play such as the Sa differences. I read somewhere that the BB is quite low on the cubes so can be prone to pedal strikes.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Difference is you step up a size comfortably with the Stereo, the 18" frame actually has a 16" seat tube and the 20" an 18", so you can largely ignore the sizing they claim it is and go on the actual seat tube length of the frame and corresponding top tube measurement. They look like great bikes, very well specced for the money, reviews indicate the suspension performance is top notch and the geometry looks pretty dialed. Certainly a great bike to consider if you're in the market for a light, great value 140mm bike
  • rockmonkeysc
    Why would they do that with the sizing?
    I'm sure I'm not the only person who would assume that a 20" bike has a 20" seat tube. I wouldn't bother to check it on the geometry diagram but when I see that I need a 22" frame to get the top tube length I need I would instantly discount the idea of buying that bike.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Why would they do that with the sizing?
    I'm sure I'm not the only person who would assume that a 20" bike has a 20" seat tube. I wouldn't bother to check it on the geometry diagram but when I see that I need a 22" frame to get the top tube length I need I would instantly discount the idea of buying that bike.

So to see what top tube length you'd need, you'd look at the geometry chart and see the seat tube length is shorter. Either way any bike shop worth their salt would point it out to you.
  • rockmonkeysc
    If it was advertised as a 20" I probably wouldn't even look at the seat tube measurement (and convert it from metric to imperial) I would just look at the top tube and think bugger that. Like most people I usually narrow it down to a couple models on the net before going to a shop so wouldn't make it to the Cube shop.