Water Bottle for Muddy XC Race

iLukeKendall
iLukeKendall Posts: 160
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Just wondering what bottles you guys would recommend for a muddy XC race.

Ideally, I'm looking for a bottle which has a protective cap to stop the nozzle becoming clogged and covered in mud, but finding a bottle with a good quick-access design is proving very difficult!

So what do you guys use?
Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile

Comments

• WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I use Camelbak Podium bottles, they don't get too muddy and you only have to squeeze the bottle to use it, I have one bottle with a cap and it's too much messing about to be of any use in a race.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Backpack bladder, why would you use anything else.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • WindyG wrote:
    I use Camelbak Podium bottles, they don't get too muddy and you only have to squeeze the bottle to use it, I have one bottle with a cap and it's too much messing about to be of any use in a race.

Thanks - I've been using Podium bottles on my road bike and love how easy it is to drink (no faffing with caps etc), but a bit concerned about how much mud will find its way into the valve. I did come across these, but annoyingly they are for the old design Podium bottles!

Camelbak-Podium-Mud-Cap.jpg
    robertpb wrote:

I have a Camelbak, but it causes me back pain and I prefer to ride without anything on my back, especially when racing.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    If mine get muddy I just throw them at my wife to sort :-)
  • WindyG wrote:
    If mine get muddy I just throw them at my wife to sort :-)

Haha! Unfortunately I won't have that benefit! As I have some Podium bottles anyway, I think I'll give them a try on a test ride tomorrow and see just how muddy they get :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    robertpb wrote:

Because you're riding past the same point every 30 minutes at least, why carry a bag full of water!?

I just employ a bit of MTFU, I use Eurobottle ones (branded with the LBS name, but the Specialized bottles are the same, among others). Change each lap or two, quick wipe on the shorts if it's that bad, never had a problem myself.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I use a bladder but to be honest the mouthpiece of that gets covered in crud if you are riding fast and its muddy so i just give it a wipe now and then. if you have a crud catcher and a bottle mount directly behind it i'd ahve thought it would stay relitively clean?

At this time of year I hardly drink anything anyway so if it got too rank could just go without: did a race last sunday (only 15km and took about 40 minutes) and i had about 4 sips all race.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd not bother at all for 40 minutes (assuming cyclocross?)! Hydrate properly before hand, save the weight.
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    Where have you seen the podium mud cap for sale? I've looked all over and they're sold out (except for overseas which adds on silly postage).
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    Something like this sounds like whats required:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... litbott560

:D
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    Dan_xz wrote:
    Something like this sounds like whats required:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... litbott560

:D
    Cheers, mine arrived today. The same price as just the mud cap for the podium bottle!