avid elixir 5s or hayes nine brakes??

alexkerrblack
alexkerrblack Posts: 34
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
easy all.
totall noob and need some advice on brakes.
i'm building a xc/am type bike and i'm stuck between elixir 5 and hayes nines.
i've found both sets second hand, the hayes are 30 quid and the elixir 5s are 35. i've looked at reviews and its seems they're quite closley matched.
the hayes are ready to go with nearly new pads. the elixirs have no hardware or pads and are missing 'c' clips (not that i know what that is) the elixirs are white if that makes much difference...
any advice or past experiance with these?
mush love
alex

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd go for neither. Get some new Shimano Deore M615s instead.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I'd go for neither. Get some new Shimano Deore M615s instead.

Would recommend the same. Cheapest decent brakes you can get.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One of our bikes is running 8 year old XT's bought for £20, much better than either.

If the Elixir are taper bore, then steer well clear, unreliable junk, the older ones are functional but never feel nice and need plenty of TLC to maintain them.

Hayes are OK, less TLC needed than the Elixir, brake OK, but never feel inspiring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • so if money was taken out of the equation, the xts and m615s rank better than either the elixirs or 9s?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pretty much anything Shimano rates higher, their brakes simply just work, and work well, feel good and are reliable, only downside is that they aren't serviceable in the event of a failure, but since they rarely fail that's not a major issue!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Not had personal experience of the Shimano ones but all Avid brakes are awful and Hayes are just a waste of $ imo.
  • cheers for all the advice but i couldn't wait any longer to find some second hand shimanos so i've opted for the hayes which i got for 25 posted. shall see how i fare..