Where to Buy 3XL, 4XL, 5XL and Even Bigger???

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Afternoon all, I was hoping you may be able to help.

Please can someone let me know where there is a good place to buy clothing, bib tights, jackets, gloves etc for us taller gents?

Surely I am not the only tall cyclist in the world???

I have just ordered some new thermal tights and a winter jacket, but if I am really honest I could have done with the next size, if not two sizes, larger.

If you look on the common websites, Prendas, CRC, Wiggle, Merlin, Ribble, On-One/Planet-X and a similar; whilst there is usually XL and sometimes 2XL there is never 3 or 4 XL.

Does anyone have any ideas? are there any other cyclists over 6'?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes there are, and like you we've all found that sizing charts for clothing manufacturers vary incredibly and make it very difficult to choose stuff with any degree of accuracy.

I'm 6'4" with a 46" chest, 36" waist and 35.5" inside leg and find that DHB stuff in XL is just about perfect for length and width! I've got other bits and pieces (Fox XL and Royal XL for my mountain bike stuff, some Endura stuff - a mix of XL or XXL) but it's so hit and miss that I tend to stick with what I know!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Castelli's stuff fits me very well, as a skinny 6'2" bloke
  • Adidas cycle clothing usually sizes up pretty big. Much bigger than most so a XL or XXL is what it says it is.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Yes there are, and like you we've all found that sizing charts for clothing manufacturers vary incredibly and make it very difficult to choose stuff with any degree of accuracy.

I'm 6'4" with a 46" chest, 36" waist and 35.5" inside leg and find that DHB stuff in XL is just about perfect for length and width! I've got other bits and pieces (Fox XL and Royal XL for my mountain bike stuff, some Endura stuff - a mix of XL or XXL) but it's so hit and miss that I tend to stick with what I know!

Pretty much the same size as you and find I'm just about ok with xxl in most things I've bought, Torm jerseys, Rapha bib shorts and Gore Jacket although for the Castelli Free Aero's I prefer an xl. Fortunately for most cycling clothing having Go Go Gadget arms and legs isn't a huge issue as you're wearing short sleeves and legs ! Gore Phantom jacket is just fine on the arms and I wear a pair of Kooga rugby tights over my bib shorts in winter. I did buy one pair of bib tights that stopped about 3 inches above my ankle and were just horrible to wear.
  • US companies are great for bigger sizes I've ordered from

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/

before with no problems and reasonably quick delivery. Also Loffler and Gonzo do bigger sizes - you can get them through ROSE and probably plenty other German sites as well. Never heard of anything specific but for what its worth I have Giordana FRC bib tights in XL and Sportfull No-Rain leg warmers in L and they fit my body fine but I reckon you would need a 35/6" (at least) inside leg for them to be perfect (my inside leg is 31 and they are at least 4" too long for me).

Must be made for extremely long legged Italian body shape - mmm ... wonder if their female and Oleg knows ...
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    American site; hmmm... I had not thought of that.

It is not necessarily the roundness that I struggle with (waist/chest) it is the length. Jerseys and jackets are not really cut long enough. When you are crouched over to ride, they always seem to be half way up your back.

Also the braces/straps could do with being longer.

Other things like the fingers are not made long enough to really be comfy. Or the palm area is not cut big enough.

Thanks for thoughts
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Levi_501 wrote:
    American site; hmmm... I had not thought of that.

It is not necessarily the roundness that I struggle with (waist/chest) it is the length. Jerseys and jackets are not really cut long enough. When you are crouched over to ride, they always seem to be half way up your back.

Also the braces/straps could do with being longer.

Other things like the fingers are not made long enough to really be comfy. Or the palm area is not cut big enough.

Thanks for thoughts

How tall are you?

I'm 6'6" and don't really struggle finding clothes.

Endura's sizing varies so much between garments, tops and shorts are fine, tights aren't long enough in the leg. Pearl Izumi and Gore are long and I'm currently using a pair of DHB Vaeon Roubaix Pro bibtights in xl, plenty of leg length for my long legs, have a pair of Sportful Giro as well.
    My experience of bib tights is that they've got to be quite tight to stay in place and not ride up.
  • voodooman
    voodooman Posts: 183
    Erm

6'6" tall, 46 chest, 36 waist, 36 inside leg and 108kg here.

I use Decathlon / Aldi stuff for commuting and then have other stuff from Embers (dhb or pricier decathlon bibshorts) in Belper for sportives and weekend rides. No reason other than supporting a small business.

I find XL is fine for my needs. I haven't really got the build or the nerve to wear supertight Castelli stuff and for me its pointless anyway as I'm hardly going to be doing le tour any time soon. Though Etape beckons if work agree on a charidee aspect.
  • vs4b
    vs4b Posts: 257
    Prendas.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Madison have good leg length and I use gore for shorts / tops and jacket as the arms are long enough. Most bought at around half price in the sales. All in the largest sizes normally. Checkout the size charts on their websites. I just use leg length and waist size to guide me.

I am 6ft7 with a long body.
  • Levi_501 wrote:
    If you look on the common websites, Prendas, CRC, Wiggle, Merlin, Ribble, On-One/Planet-X and a similar; whilst there is usually XL and sometimes 2XL there is never 3 or 4 XL.

Does anyone have any ideas? are there any other cyclists over 6'?

Thanks in advance

Just found this rather old thread, but Prendas Ciclismo has stocked bigger jerseys from the mid 00's with jersey sizes from 3XL to 6XL.
    https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/jerseys-by-size-3xl
    https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/jerseys-by-size-4xl
    https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/jerseys-by-size-5xl
    https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/jerseys-by-size-6xl

In 2017, they added 7XL and 8XL available too.

https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/jerseys-by-size-7xl
    https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/jerseys-by-size-8xl
  • JBVRV
    JBVRV Posts: 27
    I'm a skinny 198cm and find length to be the problem too. 'Aero' jerseys work for me, particularly Rapha's - or an aliexpress version thereof.

Still haven't found any bibshorts that are long/tight enough
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    I'm another at 6'6" (198cm) and find Endura/Gore work for tops and Sportful work for bib shorts. You still have to try everything first though cause sizing is just not consistent from any manufacturer.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    JBVRV wrote:
    I'm a skinny 198cm and find length to be the problem too. 'Aero' jerseys work for me, particularly Rapha's - or an aliexpress version thereof.

Try Pactimo Summit Raptors. The medium size fit me great at 6'4", 32 waist, 35" inside leg. They sit just above the knee and have plenty of stretch in the bibs.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    JBVRV wrote:

I'm the same. I've found La Passione classic bibs fairly good (I've tried castelli, assos, dhb, endura, rapha) but they could be longer... on the plus side, I don't have weird tan lines when I wear regular shorts off the bike.