First Aid Kit

JodyP
JodyP Posts: 193
I have never been bothered with a first aid kit up to now but age is getting the better of me and think it would be a wise idea to carry one just in case. So can anyone recommend a small first aid kit to fit in a Camelbak (Lobo). I have two pockets that are about 14cm2.

Also, what ideally should I be carrying? Bandages, plasters, safety pins etc Has anyone had an accident and thought I wish my kit had *** in it.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No a lot you can't sort out temporarily with Bandages, plasters, safety pin and a alcohol wipe.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I've got this one. Only ever needed wipes and plasters but it's light as a feather anyway
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    We carry the basics, and also some anti-histamines as my OH reacts to various insect bites
    So we have
    - few dry dressings- great for nasty scrapes/bleeders!
    - Micropore/ medical tape
    - plasters
    - safety pins (also good for bra failures!)
    - and a roll of Vet-Wrap- this is a veterinary bandage wrap which is excellent on sprains/strains, but also good for wrapping around things that are rubbing/ over wounds etc etc

Have used most things at various times!
    We also tend to carry an extra layer of clothing if we are on the moors (Dartmoor) as can get bloody cold very quickly if stopped due to an injury
    Between the 2 of us it doesnt take up too much space!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    Thanks for the replys. Going to order a basic setup with what has been mentioned and also some steri strips to chuck in there.
    mobilekat wrote:
    - safety pins (also good for bra failures!).........

I wouldn't know and I have no chance of getting our lass out on two wheels.
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    JodyP wrote:
    Thanks for the replys. Going to order a basic setup with what has been mentioned and also some steri strips to chuck in there.
    mobilekat wrote:
    - safety pins (also good for bra failures!).........

I wouldn't know and I have no chance of getting our lass out on two wheels.

Just imagine the glory of helping out a young lass in need.....

:lol::lol:
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • My advice? Add one of those Mylar "space blanket" things to your first aid kit. They don't weigh much, but quite a few incidents while out on the bike will involve a wait for an ambulance to arrive, and every little helps. I learned that from 45 minutes of bitter experience.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Alcohol wipes a defo, big plasters and small scissors for wounds, grazes and blisters!

Only thing I've wished I've had were steripods for flushing out flying things that stick to my eyeball.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Pain killers can be handy.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Yep Ibuprofen will help with pain and is an anti inflammatory I also carry a small tube of Savlon as well as the above.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Annoyingly the guys I ride with are accident prone so the kit we carry has grown, we eventually gave up an split the cost of a pair of proper first aid kits. So far they have served us well one riding buddy decided it would be a good idea to mess up a just an headbutt the landing. Many plasters required there. Space blankets are brilliant things. Also add if you can a tick comb blighters can ruin your health if your not careful.

If you want to there is the option of first aid training. Ive done it an really helps on what to do.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Good advice above & it helps if you know what to do in an emergency. The St. Johns courses are good

Apart from painkiller aspirins are useful in the event of a heart attack
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Lifesystems do a great range of outdoor focused first aid kits and survival items (some small/light kits ones for cycling). A small supply of painkillers and anti allergy tablets wouldn't go a miss either.

They also do a small range of bug spray which I've used in the past on holiday and it's good stuff, defo worth it you ride a lot of woodland and forest trails.

Also something I didn't notice anyone else mention but a SAM Splint is something I would always carry, like mentioned above if you have to wait up to an hour for an ambulance it can be worth it and they really don't weigh much.

https://www.lifesystems.co.uk

You might be able to find their stuff cheaper at other retailers like Amazon, eBay, GoOutdoors etc etc but it's worth a look :)
  • A cheap plug, I run a training company and a 1 day EFAW course should cover most eventualities...

https://nuktraining.co.uk/training_courses/first-aid-training
  • _HENDO_
    _HENDO_ Posts: 93
    Forget plasters and wipes.
    IMO bring stuff that'll help save you when things are reall up the creek!
    Reflective heat blanket, bandage, couple of large pads for big cut/laceration. Eye solution.
    Hopefully allow time to get to somewhere where proper medics can help!
    For professional MTB & BMX coaching, training & guiding!
    www.pedaltoprogression.com