What retro bike?

Dippydog3
Dippydog3 Posts: 414
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
In the spirit of n+1 I am going to refurbish and build up a retro bike. Something that inspires conversation and reminds me of the stuff I rode as a kid in the seventies.

The purpose of this project is the fun of doing it, with the bonus of being able to enter some of those vintage events if I want to.

The problem I have is that I cannot remember a single thing about my earlier bikes, apart from that they were red and had Campy groupsets. So, there are no rules as to what I must buy.

What makes would you look for?
Where would you look?
Besides ebay where else might one find components?

If I had to put a stake in the ground I would go for something that would have been in the 1970 TDF, to commemorate my first road bike and show me what it was I could not have afforded then.

Please bear in mind that I would like to do some refurbishment etc, so just buying something that has already been done doesn't really make sense.

Thanks.

Comments

• Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    That's something I've been looking at as well, but maybe with a modern twist to allow a modern groupset and 130mm dropout spacings for 700cc wheels.

I read Retrobike and there are some very knowledgeable guys on that forum with some amazing retro bikes on display. They have a busy classifieds section but also a sub section for eBay bikes/frames on sale.

I think I'd like a red Raleigh ti team bike, maybe because a kid in our village had an Europa in the same colours and I always wanted one.
  • Dippydog3
    Good thoughts, thanks. I will check that out.

Of course, the other option would be to have a custom frame build and make it look like a classic bike. Probably nicer to ride but no entry into the classic events.
  • Elfed
    Dippydog3 wrote:
    Good thoughts, thanks. I will check that out.

Of course, the other option would be to have a custom frame build and make it look like a classic bike. Probably nicer to ride but no entry into the classic events.

That's a in a whole different price range and probably takes out all the fun of finding, cleaning up and restoring the frame.
    It's similar to people buying classic cars that they lusted after in their teenage years I guess.
  • Dippydog3
    Finally I can afford all the things I lusted after as a teenager.

Almost all anyway. :D
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I've got a Raleigh Europa, found at the local dump. It's been fun making something out of a freebee but it's not in anyway a classic (cheap bike, now single speeded with deep rimmed tt wheels). Can I ride it in a classic race?

For me it would definitely be a Raleigh. Everyone had one when I were a lad. Of course this was the cheap end of the market so I've no idea what 70's mamils rode and how they compared to a my mamil machine.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,161
    In the 70s I had an already well-used 5-speed 'Sun' (part of Raleigh I think). It did a lot of miles before someone kicked my front door down & nicked it, back in the 80s. I remember it fondly.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If looking to restore a bike, make sure you get a decent frame - minimum of Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL with investment cast lugs and drop outs. A decent respray is £200+ and replacing a 'dinged' tube £100+ are worth bearing in mind. There are a lot of people dressing-up 10-speed BSOs made from gas-pipe and pressed lugs and trying to fob-them off as 'classics'. Avoid anything with chrome steel rims. The hipster craze for fixed gear appears to be waning, but many a decent frame has been destroyed on the effort to remove gear lever and derailleur bosses. Prices for contemporary parts continues to climb as demand outstrips supply, and finding NOS or mint is getting increasingly expensive. If budget is tight, then Gipiemme or Miche parts can give better value. About 10 years ago the stuff was still going cheap on ebay - I got my Gios for £100 and passed-over many other bargains.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    As a kid in the 70's?

grifter1.jpg
  • Elfed
    yaya wrote:
    As a kid in the 70's?

grifter1.jpg

Wow, they were expensive!

My mate had a Tomahawk, then a red Grifter, I had a battered old second hand Chopper with a torn seat and no gear knob, ouch! Weighed a ton as well!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,034
    I think I'd go for an old Mercian only because they are made locally to that's a bit of a pull - ideally I'd prefer an iconic Tour bike but stuff like a LaVie Claire Look or a Peugeot PX10 can be hard to find - I suppose if you researched lesser known pro bikes that could be part of the fun.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,161
    yaya wrote:
    As a kid in the 70's?

There was no way my parents were going to spend that sort of money on a bike. If it wasn't a hand-me-down then I wasn't getting one. Choppers were all anyone wanted anyway, which were completely useless as a means of transport.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Be choosey buy a frame and not a whole bike. Whole bikes have parts or variable quality they maybe useable or they not. When I buy an old bike I just get a frame or assume the compenentry especially the wheels are not useable as they are. Bought a few wheels recently for the hubs alone. The rims turned out to be fine but the quality of the wheel build with al that uneven spoke tension means they may not hold up my riding for long. Building a retro is not necesialry cheap. To do it properly can cost quite a bit even using Miche parts which are no longer cheap. Take your time and be fussy.

Retrobike has been the soucre of 7 of my 8 retro frames. Great place to find stuff. Many honest sellers on there who actually know what they are selling rather than on ebay where a couple of mechs I have bought turned to be scrap.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Monty Dog wrote:
    If budget is tight, then Gipiemme or Miche parts can give better value.

Alternatively Suntour stuff is cheap and probably better than pretty much anything else you can get from the time (ie 1970s, early 80s). My Raleigh Record Ace has Suntour and SR componentry and it's lovely - nicer and lighter than the later Campagnolo equipped versions.

Montys wrong about the dropouts though - if you are going for earlier bikes (ie early 70s or earlier) plenty of high quality frames lacked forged dropouts or braze on fittings. Neither are essential.
    Be choosey buy a frame and not a whole bike. Whole bikes have parts or variable quality they maybe useable or they not.

Trouble is frames often cost nearly as much as a whole bike. If a bike is in original good condition then you might as well get the whole bike - the componentry shouldn't be worn out - just in need of a clean and it should match the frame in quality; it's just a case of being picky. Because the parts are original to the bike, the condition of the frame is a good indication of the condition of the parts. Any non NOS components you buy second hand can be made to look almost as good as new whether they are or are virtually worn out. All my Record Ace needed was a new set of wheels (I knew this because they weren't the original alloys - and I didn't buy brilliantly there to be fair - I think now I'd try to source NOS rims and hubs). Buy a frame and you have to source everything else as well. The rule about it being cheaper to source a bike than build from scratch applies to old bikes as well as new.

Besides, any parts you don't want to keep can probably be sold for an unexpectedly high price on ebay.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Every time I see a whole bike all I see is hassle. Either the price is sky high or I have to comptimalate stripping it down selling of most of the bits e.t.c and then sell them.

Did this recently with a Vitus 992. I have always wanted one but with French components. guess what this came with Shimano RX100. The whole groupset is sitting in a box, the RX100 hubs need a good serivce as they are rough. The wheel they are built into are heavy and have low and uneven spoke tension i.e unusable as they are. I have rebuilt the bike now with a Mavic groupset (well I have the starfish crank and BB but have not got round to fitting it yet but I will at some point). The wheel have been replaced by Mavic MR601 hubs laced to CXP14 rims 24H front and rear.

Also most of the fun in building a retro bike is sourcing all the components, frame, fork and every part so it just right. It is a project it is not meant to come in a box complete.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,034
    Keep an open mind - frame or full bike be silly to rule out a bargain because you are wedded to one or the other.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Also most of the fun in building a retro bike is sourcing all the components, frame, fork and every part so it just right. It is a project it is not meant to come in a box complete.

It can be whatever you want it to be. There aren't any rules you know! I just see frames as shiny polished up things being endlessly bid up by people who want to buy a load of NOS Dura Ace to go on it and therefore don't mind bidding high for the frame. People don't tend to clean complete bikes so they look relatively shabby and people automatically assume everything needs replacing. As long as you know your stuff, it is pretty easy to get a bike with most, if not all the right parts on it.

Besides, for me most of the fun is looking at what I start with, then stripping the frame, cleaning up the parts and then putting it all back together with fresh grease and oil etc and seeing what I have created. Spending money on stuff is OK but it's not the high point.
    Keep an open mind - frame or full bike be silly to rule out a bargain because you are wedded to one or the other.

Very true.
    Faster than a tent.......