Battle of the light, short stems?

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm potentially in the market for a new stem, and there seem to be a couple of nice light options available:

Superstar's Zenith, at £27 and 126g for a 50mm
On-one's Ultralight CNC at £20 and 110g for a 60mm (also available in 50mm)

So on-one is lighter, cheaper and better looking (don't like the red "badge" on the superstar ones :wink:) - but I've not heard anything about it, whilst I've seen lots of positive things written about the Zenith.

Any experiences of the On-one version? Any others to consider at roughly the same price point?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Unless they're all 0 deg don't you also need to factor in the rise and spacer situation?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a longer on-one on my commuter, rated well in magazine tests, went on, worked, felt stiff, nothing went wrong, did what it said on the tin.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78
    Unless they're all 0 deg don't you also need to factor in the rise and spacer situation?
    There's only 1 deg difference between the two, which translates into 0.87mm at 50mm length, so not loosing any sleep over that. ;)
    The Rookie wrote:
    I have a longer on-one on my commuter, rated well in magazine tests, went on, worked, felt stiff, nothing went wrong, did what it said on the tin.
    Thanks, that's what I was hoping for :D
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Any experiences of the On-one version? ?

Bought one a few months ago to replace the standard Giant stem on my Anthem. Someone recommended the On One stem and I thought it was worth a punt for £20 just to see if the 40mm stem suited me.

Its very light, well machined and seems pretty sturdy. Top CNC quality for little cost.
  • I've got the On-One in 60mm on my c456 and it's good at full price - £20 is a no-brainer. Though I'm also very much a "stems and stem", type of person :)
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    At 50mm pretty much any stem works. Its hard to make a 50mm stem that isnt stiff and light(ish)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • jimothy78
    benpinnick wrote:
    Its hard to make a 50mm stem that isnt stiff and light(ish)

The first 50mm stem I had was an Easton Vice - plenty stiff enough, I'm sure, but it looked like someone had drilled two holes in a housebrick and it actually weighed more than double what we're looking at today :D