2014 / 2015 xs women sub £400 mtb advice

Bob the Newbie
Bob the Newbie Posts: 14
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Ok so likely the same question is asked all the time so I apologise now if I have missed the glaringly obvious advise that is already here somewhere. I am looking to buy my young daughter (11) a new bike in the next few months. I am looking at an xs frame due to her height but would like a 26 inch wheel. I have seen a Merida Juliet 6 but keen to get some idea if this is a good bike or should I go for something else. I don't really need suspension but my budget is no more than £400. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Link to specs, so we know we are looking at the right bike helps.

How tall is she, 11 year olds can vary by about a foot in height, there are some decent bikes starting at about 15-16" which may or may not be too big.

If it's this one http://2014.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bik ... -2159.html it looks pretty well specced at that price point, much better than the Carrera Vulcan which is only a little cheaper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the reply. Here is the one I was looking at.
    http://www.merida.com/en_gb/bikes/mount ... -3362.html

The 7 300 is a little more than I was budgeting.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie wrote:
    How tall is she, 11 year olds can vary by about a foot in height, there are some decent bikes starting at about 15-16" which may or may not be too big.
    and?

The fork on that model is pretty dire usually, although that one claims to have hydraulic lockout (I'd want to be certain first) which should make it just about OK.

Promax mechanical disc don't really deserve to be called brakes, they are dire.

Better than that by far
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -bike-2015
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sorry. My daughter is about 4ft 9 inches if that helps. Thanks
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    My 9 year old is the same size, I just got her an older 16" womens Carrera Vulcan. It's borderline slightly too big right nowbut she loves it and I think if I'd gone any smaller it wouldn't of lasted long.
  • Antm81 wrote:
    My 9 year old is the same size, I just got her an older 16" womens Carrera Vulcan. It's borderline slightly too big right nowbut she loves it and I think if I'd gone any smaller it wouldn't of lasted long.

Is this a 16" 26-er. If so can't believe it's anywhere close to borderline for a girl of 4'9" or so. Would be too big for my daughter who's 5'3" and rides a 15". I'm 5'9" and ride a 17/17.5".

In my opinion you're not doing kids any favours putting them on a bike that's too big. Cranks/gearing are oversize and the bike is too large for them to learn skills. Plenty of good 24" wheel bikes out there and some pretty small framed 26" too - we've had 13.5" and 15" frames (Trek and Specialized I think) but plenty of others available - there was a 13.5" Spesh Hardrock in the classifieds a few weeks ago.
  • The Rookie
    I agree, someone that height needs to be on something circa 13-14", by adult daughter is 5'3" and rides a 13.5", I'm 5'9" and ride a 16/17" - all based on relatively normal frame proportions of course!
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    She's got about 4" of seat post showing and the reach is good, stand over is pretty good too.

It's ok you saying she should be on a 24" wheeled bike but you don't know my daughter and how she's proportioned. She outgrew her 24" wheeled bike over 6 months ago. As for gearing etc, she much prefers it on the adult bike and prefers the bigger wheels too.

Most importantly she' enjoys riding it, every time she's here the bike is out even if she's just riding up and down the street.