Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

ROSE PRO DX CROSS-3000 Review / Info

1235

Posts

  • dhopedhope Posts: 6,699
    Actually, doesn't look like the Canyon is much more expensive.
    Inflite comes with DT Swiss R23, Rose comes with R24.
    Retail on the R23s is £430 to £280 for the R24s
    With both bikes though, there can't be much margin left after the groupset, wheels and finishing kit is done.

    You not tempted by the 3100 with Di2?
    In for a penny and all that... ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 10,720
    dhope wrote:
    You not tempted by the 3100 with Di2?
    In for a penny and all that... ;)

    Ha!

    I haven't even looked at the price - that would then make me want it on my yet to be ridden Scott, which has mechanical Ultegra 6800 on it!

    So I will not even go there.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • GiantDanceGiantDance Posts: 129
    Heard horror stories about Canyon delivery times
    Moda Prima 2013
    Giant Defy Advanced 1 2014
    Rose Pro DX Cross-3000 'MB' - STOLEN
    Langster SF 2015
  • dhopedhope Posts: 6,699
    GiantDance wrote:
    Heard horror stories about Canyon delivery times
    Yeah, I was one of those horror stories, their customer service looks to pale in comparison to Rose.

    Though I've mostly gotten over it as the bike is lovely. And they should be in stock by now.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • azzurri78azzurri78 Posts: 104
    dhope wrote:
    Actually, doesn't look like the Canyon is much more expensive.
    Inflite comes with DT Swiss R23, Rose comes with R24.
    Retail on the R23s is £430 to £280 for the R24s
    With both bikes though, there can't be much margin left after the groupset, wheels and finishing kit is done.

    You not tempted by the 3100 with Di2?
    In for a penny and all that... ;)

    Daniel could upgrade the R24's to R23 for £61 if he want s the spec to be near as identical to the Canyon.

    Daniel - If you are thinking about the Canyon you could always wait until they release the 2015 bikes. I believe that is when they re-evaluate the GBP/EUR exchange rate they set. Unfortunately I dont know when that is. Rose seem to reset their GBP prices alot more often.
  • dhopedhope Posts: 6,699
    azzurri78 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Actually, doesn't look like the Canyon is much more expensive.
    Inflite comes with DT Swiss R23, Rose comes with R24.
    Retail on the R23s is £430 to £280 for the R24s
    With both bikes though, there can't be much margin left after the groupset, wheels and finishing kit is done.

    You not tempted by the 3100 with Di2?
    In for a penny and all that... ;)

    Daniel could upgrade the R24's to R23 for £61 if he want s the spec to be near as identical to the Canyon.

    Daniel - If you are thinking about the Canyon you could always wait until they release the 2015 bikes. I believe that is when they re-evaluate the GBP/EUR exchange rate they set. Unfortunately I dont know when that is. Rose seem to reset their GBP prices alot more often.
    They don't release 2015 until October, get Rose if price is the deciding factor. Both great bikes
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 10,720
    Thankyou Azzuri and dhope - £61 seems a reasonable cost - especially as the difference in price on the Rose website seems to be £200 - is that right, only £61??
    They seem to be around 200g lighter.

    For those who have their bikes already, did you go for the same frame size as in your regular road bike?

    I have a short torso, and so need a short top tube, which these seem to have.

    If my Scott ends up fitting me well, that is a 54 with a 545 top tube, and I notice that the 54 and 56 Rose frames have 532 and 540 Top tubes respectively.
    My inseam is 34", so my default idea would have been the 54, but I wonder if a 56 would be better, which would mean less seatpost showing as well.

    Also noticed one of the reviews stated the frame was 'really high' and that they had to drop 2 frame sizes - think they might be a bit confused though....
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 10,720
    I have just mailed Rose to see if there is anyway they can work this into a Cyclescheme purchase with a £1000 limit - wondering if they can downgrade parts for the purchase, and then I pay out of my own pocket to upgrade them - unlikely, but worth a try.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • asprillaasprilla Posts: 8,440
    Daniel B wrote:
    Thankyou Azzuri and dhope - £61 seems a reasonable cost - especially as the difference in price on the Rose website seems to be £200 - is that right, only £61??
    They seem to be around 200g lighter.

    For those who have their bikes already, did you go for the same frame size as in your regular road bike?

    I have a short torso, and so need a short top tube, which these seem to have.

    If my Scott ends up fitting me well, that is a 54 with a 545 top tube, and I notice that the 54 and 56 Rose frames have 532 and 540 Top tubes respectively.
    My inseam is 34", so my default idea would have been the 54, but I wonder if a 56 would be better, which would mean less seatpost showing as well.

    Also noticed one of the reviews stated the frame was 'really high' and that they had to drop 2 frame sizes - think they might be a bit confused though....

    I'm 5'9" with a 33" inside leg. I used to have a size 54 CR1 which was the result of my fit at Sigma Sport and it was a great fit with a 20mm lay back seat post. I now have a 56cm Cervelo and a Large Canyon Inflite. Te saddle centre to bar centre on the Inflite is about 15-20mm less than that on the Cervelo so I do find it, even in a large, to be smaller than my Cervelo.

    Reading it back, I'm not sure any of that helps..
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 10,720
    Yes that is of help, at least with regards to your fitment on a CR1 I reckon :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • tzunoitzunoi Posts: 13
    Does anyone know what's the maximum tire size that can fit on it? And when asking max size I'm not referring to the one specified by manufacture, that is 35 mm, but trough tries and errors :). Please specify also the rim.
  • cookeeemonstercookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    tzunoi wrote:
    Does anyone know what's the maximum tire size that can fit on it? And when asking max size I'm not referring to the one specified by manufacture, that is 35 mm, but trough tries and errors :). Please specify also the rim.

    Only had 35mm on myself but there looks to be clearance for a fair bit bigger. Pretty sure they do a version of this bike with the same frame that goes up to 45mm - not sure what wheels that has though.

    I'd email them to find out to be honest
  • tzunoitzunoi Posts: 13
    I already email them and answer is up to 35 mm. My bike has 700x28c tires on it but it looks that can handle tires that are a lot bigger - I just want to know how big as I don't have any to test.
  • tzunoitzunoi Posts: 13
    On the second email I receive a more detailed answer - just put it here for further reference
    "Hello xxxx,
    max. tire dimension is 700x42 C. But normal for Cross use is 700x35C."
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 10,720
    In case anyone hasn't noticed, it appears this has gone up by a little over £100 over the last few days.
    Shame, as I was going to order this month.
    Going to plough some cash into rejuvenating my Marin instead now.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cookeeemonstercookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Daniel B wrote:
    In case anyone hasn't noticed, it appears this has gone up by a little over £100 over the last few days.
    Shame, as I was going to order this month.
    Going to plough some cash into rejuvenating my Marin instead now.
    Daniel B wrote:
    In case anyone hasn't noticed, it appears this has gone up by a little over £100 over the last few days.
    Shame, as I was going to order this month.
    Going to plough some cash into rejuvenating my Marin instead now.

    This was on another thread little while back, they had planned to raise it on 1st May due to exchange rate stuff.

    After I bought mine they dropped the price by £70 so it does fluctuate a bit with the exchange rate so keep an eye out ;)
  • tzunoitzunoi Posts: 13
    Guys, I just receive an email for recall due to some possible problem with carbon fork. Changing will take 6-8 weeks?????Does anyone receive this kind of email? This will screw up my season. Bike is 3000 pro DX hyd.
    Bike is pretty new - I received on 21 April. This is another think because they have money back for 30 days but it pass 30 days and one week so, apparently, I need to wait for them to replace the fork. Instead of waiting that I just want my money back - but theoretically 30 days period expired. It seems to me that they wait on purpose for that period to expired and then send the email. Is there any law to force them to give the money back?
    By the - they state that you should not ride the bike as fork may fail - that means fun is over :(
  • antsmithmkantsmithmk Posts: 717
    tzunoi wrote:
    Guys, I just receive an email for recall due to some possible problem with carbon fork. Changing will take 6-8 weeks?????Does anyone receive this kind of email? This will screw up my season. Bike is 3000 pro DX hyd.
    Bike is pretty new - I received on 21 April. This is another think because they have money back for 30 days but it pass 30 days and one week so, apparently, I need to wait for them to replace the fork. Instead of waiting that I just want my money back - but theoretically 30 days period expired. It seems to me that they wait on purpose for that period to expired and then send the email. Is there any law to force them to give the money back?
    By the - they state that you should not ride the bike as fork may fail - that means fun is over :(

    Can you post the actual mail?
  • GSHGSH Posts: 2
    Evening all.

    After much deliberation and searching of t'internet, i ordered a Rose Pro DX Cross (2000) a few months ago, which i received on April 13th. Now, like Tzunoi above, i have been sent a recall email telling me to stop using the bike immediately while they manufacture new forks. The fact that i actually read the email whilst out on the bike this morning and 30 miles from home just added insult to injury....


    Now, recalls happen and it's good that a company admits when there's a problem, but the timescale involved is not acceptable. 6-8 weeks to make the new forks, 1 week for them to replace plus 3 days delivery each way means the bike is unusable for anything up to 10 weeks.


    Anyway, here's the email.


    Voluntary recall of the forks with the item number 1958263 and 1958272 from the batches 929388-929390, 932333-932335, 932337



    Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Our quality assurance department has identified a potential quality problem of the PRO DX CROSS forks with the item no. 1958263 and 1958272 from the batches 929388, 929389, 929390, 932333, 932334, 932335 and 932337 delivered on 16.03.2015. So far, 0,07% of the delivered forks got broken, which can cause serious falls. In order to prevent any risk of accident, we have decided to replace the forks of the batches concerned.

    We would therefore be grateful, if you could immediately stop riding your ROSE bike.

    We are currently working on the production and painting of the new forks, so that we can replace your fork as soon as possible. At present, we expect the forks to be available in approx. 6-8 weeks. Within the next 4 weeks, you’ll receive further information on the returns process and the date of replacement. We’ll then send you a return label with which you can send the complete bike in. If you do not have a shipping box for your bike, please request a new one by calling our service hotline indicated below or by sending an email to [email protected]. Of course, we will be happy to send you the bike box for free. As an alternative, you also have the possibility to hand your bike over in one of our ROSE BIKETOWN stores in Bocholt or Munich.

    As the fork has to be newly produced and painted to match your frame, a fast replacement is unfortunately not possible.

    If you have any questions regarding the recall, please feel free to contact us on 00 800 22 77 55 55 (free from landlines, calls from mobiles may be charged).

    We are sorry for the inconvenience, we have no desire to cause you any trouble, therefore we deposit a €50,00 gift coupon to your costumer account.

    Yours sincerely


    Erwin Rose



    We have listed some of the most frequent questions below:

    How fast do I get my ROSE bike back?

    The replacement forks will be available in 6-8 weeks, which is at the end of July. As soon as the forks are available, the replacement will take about 1 week. We’ll do our best to make sure that you’ll have your bike back as soon as possible.

    Is it possible to also carry out an inspection/servicing?

    To guarantee that the replacement process runs smoothly, a simultaneous inspection or servicing is unfortunately not possible. If you are nevertheless interested in an inspection or servicing, please contact our bike service.

    Can I replace the fork myself or let it be replaced by someone else?

    As the fork is a safety relevant component of your bike, we recommend you to let us carry out the replacement. If you nevertheless prefer to replace the fork yourself, we would be grateful, if you could return your fork using the return label that we’ll send you separately at a later date. Please note that we’ll not be liable for resulting damages, if you decide to carry out the replacement yourself or to let it be done by third parties.

    How should I send my bike in?

    Please don’t send your bike in until you’ve received the return label, as the newly produced forks will only be available by then. If you do not have a shipping box for your bike, please request a new one by calling our service hotline 00 800 22 77 55 55 (free from landlines, calls from mobiles may be charged) or by sending an email to [email protected]. Of course, we will send you the bike box for free. As an alternative, you also have the possibility to hand your bike over in one of our ROSE BIKETOWN stores in Bocholt or Munich.
    Cannondale Synapse 2014
    Rose Pro DX Cross 2000 2015 (Gathering dust and awaiting new forks)
    Scott Aspect 45 2009.
  • timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,482
    That's a bit rubbish, particularly the 6-8 week timescale. 50 euros also feels a bit cheap when we're talking about a 1000 euro bike. You do wonder if new bike orders are being affected or prioritized.

    It does make me wonder about disk forks however - Ugo had a problem with his and Genesis wouldn't even supply a replacement. Historically disk brakes are used on mountain bikes, which pretty much all have suspension forks, rather than the kind of lightweight carbon that you get on a road/cross bike, so the materials challenges aren't necessarily very well understood yet.

    The name of the manufacturer escapes me, but one of the touring bike companies demonstrated the forces involved by brazing on a disk brake mount onto their standard (fairly rugged) steel touring fork (this might have ben for a tandem as I recall) and it literally crumpled under the braking load.

    Still, better to find out this way than potentially miss more than 8 weeks riding due to a catastrophic failure on the road.
  • dhopedhope Posts: 6,699
    TimothyW wrote:
    The name of the manufacturer escapes me, but one of the touring bike companies demonstrated the forces involved by brazing on a disk brake mount onto their standard (fairly rugged) steel touring fork (this might have ben for a tandem as I recall) and it literally crumpled under the braking load.
    That's not massively surprising though, just bolting a disc brake onto a normal fork that had been designed to withstand stress near the crown rather than at the end would likely cause a failure.

    0.07% failures. So approx 1 in 1500 forks.
    I think I'd be tempted to just keep on using it and then send it back when they have the new forks in.

    Disclaimer: This does not constitute advice, I am not a lawyer, bike mechanic or person of sound mind or judgement :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 25,981 Lives Here
    dhope wrote:
    0.07% failures. So approx 1 in 1500 forks.
    I think I'd be tempted to just keep on using it and then send it back when they have the new forks in.

    Disclaimer: This does not constitute advice, I am not a lawyer, bike mechanic or person of sound mind or judgement :twisted:
    I'd agree with this, especially the second bit.
  • tzunoitzunoi Posts: 13
    Coming back with some info - I talk with them and there are not agree to do a full refund even I cannot use their bike after one month and few days. Do you know if I can force them in some way? Their is some authority in DE that take care of consumer rights?
  • cookeeemonstercookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    tzunoi wrote:
    Coming back with some info - I talk with them and there are not agree to do a full refund even I cannot use their bike after one month and few days. Do you know if I can force them in some way? Their is some authority in DE that take care of consumer rights?

    I'd call them up and speak to them myself if I were you - might get a non standard response?

    I've not got an email so hopefully I'm not affected but may just check the numbers when I get home later just in case...
  • tzunoitzunoi Posts: 13
    I already talk with them. I explain them the problem and ask for a quicker solution. Response was that they also wait for forks from Taiwan so it will takes 6 to 8 weeks and cannot refund me as 30 days period expires.
    That's way I search for alternate solution as from my point I bought a product that was new and prove to be defective. In my country if something is defective and cannot be repaired in 30 days your are entitled to a full refund. But I don't know DE laws and consumer rights.
  • GSHGSH Posts: 2

    I've not got an email so hopefully I'm not affected but may just check the numbers when I get home later just in case...


    Yours should be OK. The batch affected was only delivered to them on March 15th so it's a specific issue with that batch rather than a general problem with their Disc forks.

    I spent a good few weeks playing with the set up of the bike in case i needed to return it within their 30 day limit. I only got rid of the Bike Box last week and now i have to send the Bike back. I'm beginning to wish i'd bought a CAADX instead :roll:
    Cannondale Synapse 2014
    Rose Pro DX Cross 2000 2015 (Gathering dust and awaiting new forks)
    Scott Aspect 45 2009.
  • Well I received mine in March and only been able to cover 1k miles and had the bike running without defect for six weeks in total.

    It started with a creaking/grinding sound, I thought it was the BB so paid a LBS to service and sort it, three weeks later the censored LBS returns the bike with the creaking still there and me £55 down. I then recorded the sound and went back to Rose, they initially wanted me to buy a rear wheel from them, wait for it and then return the fault wheel, I couldn't afford the layout of £240 for a month at that time so declined. Finlay the UK manager sorted it in the end and the delay was part my fault as I was also waiting for Evans to fix a campy spoke on my summer bike (which took them 6 weeks and is another story). So I got the bike back around 20h July and then Tuesday 1st Sept the shifter jams, will go down but not up unless I shift quickly, took to another LBS who checked the cable and shifter who confirmed it was a faulty shifter and would need replacing.

    I now have no bike box to return it, I will have to wait for another delivery company and more time off work and be without the bike again for weeks on end. I am tired of this piece of junk, when it runs well it runs great but I have had nothing but problems with it. I requested a refund which was refused as they say they are trying to make repairs on it. Finlay is helping though trying to find a local mech "he trusts knows what they are doing". he doesn't seem to like LBS's but no joy so far.

    Wish I had sold it when I got the rear wheel sorted and bought a Kinesis winter/commuter or the CAADX instead but was suckered in by the high spec at low prices, that said I doubt I would get a grand on Fleabay for it.

    Moan over... Sorry Rose lovers but they are not for me, distant selling on bikes can be great and a nightmare when things go wrong.
  • curto80curto80 Posts: 314
    You've been unlucky. I've had 4 Rose bikes and not yet had an issue. Rose didn't make the shifter and install thousands of them a year without issue. Not sure why that's Rose's fault tbh.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • You've been unlucky. I've had 4 Rose bikes and not yet had an issue. Rose didn't make the shifter and install thousands of them a year without issue. Not sure why that's Rose's fault tbh.

    Odd that one, since that seems to be the opinion of their UK Manager as well. I bought the bike as a whole, I did not buy it in components and so Rose are responsible under warranty for the bike as a whole, something they cannot grasp. Would you pay for a repair which shouldn't have happened within a reasonable time?
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 25,981 Lives Here
    Moan over... Sorry Rose lovers but they are not for me, distant selling on bikes can be great and a nightmare when things go wrong.
    Unfortunately that's it in a nutshell. Buying direct is great if all goes well, not so good if you have an issue. True Rose didn't make the shifter, but they are responsible as you bought the bike off them. I wouldn't rule out buying direct, but I'd do so in the knowledge that if I had any problems the support would be somewhat lacking.
    Similar to buying direct from the far east. Cheaper, but you are taking more of a risk as the support won't be as good.
    Anyway, sorry to hear of your woes. Hope it gets sorted eventually.
Sign In or Register to comment.