Rockshox Reverb seat clamp play

RyanMK43
RyanMK43 Posts: 113
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys happy new year and all that.... anyway to the point, i brought myself a shiney new reverb post with with a bit of Christmas money i had, all was well and happy until i fitted my saddle and then noticed quite a bit of play in the clamp, all the bolts are tightened sufficiently enough, but there seems to something not quite right, i can turn my saddle a few mm (i am pretty sure it is the clamp/where the clamp attaches to the post that the play is coming from) it wouldn't bother me too much if it was a little bit but i can clearly twist it and also feel it when sat on the bike. I am jist wondering if anyone else has had this? Is it just normal (my brothers Thompson doesnt do that :shock: ) or is there a way of tightening something to stop it or reduce the movement? Thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What size are your saddle rails and are they tight in the saddle. Is everything nice and clean?
    Can you slide the saddle back and forwards when it's clamped up tight?
  • RyanMK43
    Everything is nice and clean as it is fresh out of the box, all the bolts are tight enough, the movement isn't coming from the saddle rails, i cant move the saddle as in if it was too loosely tightened in the saddle rails clamp. I can just twist the saddle not rock it back and forth
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    How much does it twist? A bit of play from the Reverb itself is normal.
  • RyanMK43
    It's hard to say but like 5mm either way, enough to really notice it
  • bennett_346
    5mm does sound a bit much.
  • RyanMK43
    Anywhere between 3-5mm really. Like i said my brother has the Thompson elite and there absolutely no movement or play in that so it made me wonder if it was faulty, i emailed CRC and they said "This is trait of the Reverb post and many other brands dropper posts. A bit of movement is normal with the Reverb and you will not notice it when riding" but yea it does seem to move a fair bit and you definitely feel it twisting wheel sitting on the bikd
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Ryan, Send it back mate. I have had this problem on a new post and it was replaced under warranty. I also had the same problem developed on a post i had owned for a while and a service and key replacement fixed the issue but it was £75 IIRC. I have had awful trouble with reverbs, but the warranty has always been op notch to be honest.

3-5mm of movement out of the box is definitely not right.
  • RyanMK43
    Cheers for the advice Russyh, i have sent an email to sram to see what they say about it all, so i will wait and see until they hopefully reply.
  • bennett_346
    Best bet is to go through the retailer, although an email from SRAM saying that amount of play isn't right would be useful incase the retailer gets angsty. I've found SRAM are pretty good with that kind of thing.
  • russyh
    RyanMK43 wrote:
    Cheers for the advice Russyh, i have sent an email to sram to see what they say about it all, so i will wait and see until they hopefully reply.

They will tell you to go back to the retailer you bought it from mate. They wont deal direct I tried as i had a problem with a new one i purchased from a German retailer. Which i thought may cause me a problem. It didn't the German retailer was brilliant. Replaced it for me straight away, sending me a new one before i had returned by old broken one. He then dealt with SRAM directly.
  • RyanMK43
    This is the email i sent SRAM.
    Hi I brought a Reverb dropper post from chainreactioncycles.com and all was well fitting the post until i put my saddle on and i noticed some play in the post or it could be the saddle clamp, all the bolts are tightened sufficiently but i can twist/rotate my saddle about 3-4mm, there isn't any forward or backward movement, and i can't rock my saddle. I'm just curious if this is normal or is it a slightly faulty post?

Thanks Ryan.

This is what SRAM replied with.....
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your reverb, and hope that we can assist.

Any SRAM product is covered by a 2 year warranty, from date of purchase, against defects in material and manufacturing, but this does not include wear & tear items or accident damage, as set out in SRAM's warranty policy, available on their web site.

The issue you describe may be one for warranty & the reverb should be returned to us for inspection. As we are a business to business facility this can only be done through the original vendor. When goods are returned for warranty inspection, we require a copy of the proof of purchase, to prove that you, as user are the original purchaser of the product, as warranty is not transferrable, and to further prove that the goods are still within their warranty period. The vendor should always be your first point of contact for any issues relating to your purchase. They may also be able to make informed but not definitive judgement to the possible validity of any warranty claim.

Regards,

So now i am confused why CRC told me that it is normal and SRAM are telling me to send it back.
  • RyanMK43
    So Russyh did you have the same thing then that you could rotate/twist your saddle or there was some play in it?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So send it back to CRC with your email from SRAM.
    No need to be confused.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • russyh
    No the issue I had was a faulty remote. But I tried to deal with sram direct like you and had exactly that response. So I tried the German retailer I bought it from who said send it back and they would replace which they did. I have had a similar problem to the one you describe on another reverb, it's fairly common.

I would return it to crc, they are frankly superb at dealing with this kind of thing. I should imagine if you are quick you would have your replacement by end of the weeke early next week.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    A little side to side play in the Reverb is normal but yours does sound a little excessive. Mine had a little play if you moved it whilst holding the saddle, but you certainly couldn't feel the play when out on the trail.

I had a few other issues with my Reverb though and it ended up going back for warranty repair (through Wiggle). They replaced it for a new seat post which I sold as soon as it arrived (I lost faith in the Reverb totally).

Just return it to CRC, they are very good. It might even be worth asking them if you can pay the extra for a Thomson.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure who you can twist it by 3-4mm when twist is an angle, the rear will move less than the front (shorter radius), so no wonder SRAM are being a little evasive as your measurements aren't really meaningful!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.