Internally routing brake hose

Antm81
Antm81 Posts: 1,406
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Fitting my new brakes tonight and due to the current routing for the rear that rubs on the headset I plan on internally routing it.

Question is when I remove from the lever will I need to replace the olive and barb? I've read epic's instructions for shortening the hose which obviously requires them replacing but I'm not ready to trim the hoses yet so after some real world experience as to wether it will be fine to reuse them till im ready to shorten the hose.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would use a new olive. The barb will be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've never replaced the olive, even when putting on different levers, no issue, assuming the Olive will go through the holes in the frame of course!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Agree with The Rookie, you'll struggle to remove the olive unless you cut the hose, but that may be necessary to get the hose through the frame. If you use a new olive I'd use a new barb myself, good chance it won't readily come out anyway, and they're generally sold together.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    No issue going through the frame, the holes are pretty big, forgot I needed another rubber plug for one of the holes so that it will take the hose instead of blanking it off so not quite ready yet.