adding float fluid instead of a volume reducer?

Cqc
Cqc Posts: 951
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone, I'd like to make my rear shock (fox triad) ramp up significantly more than it does Currently. Normally you can add one of those plastic volume reducers, but they're expensive, and technically are only meant for float shocks. I heard you can add float fluid instead however, but on the air can service manual it says "don't add more than 2cc of float fluid to the air can or movement of the shock will be impaired ". Is this true? will it work fine with the added oil? Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As far as I am aware the Triad is just a float with the 3 position control lever and was specific to spesh, so I don't see a reason the volume reducer wouldn't work.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can just make on by cutting up a piece of plastic sheet. Even collar stiffeners that come with shirts.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You can use a blob of grease.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The Rookie wrote:
    As far as I am aware the Triad is just a float with the 3 position control lever and was specific to spesh, so I don't see a reason the volume reducer wouldn't work.
    That's what I thought, thanks, but I still don't really want to splash out that much money on some pieces of plastic... RockmonkeySC, do I just measure out how much grease I want let's say a medium volume reducer is 20cc and so squirt that into the middle of the aircan? Will it not interfere with the movement of the shaft?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Yes, just put the volume you need in the air can. A thicker grease will last longer.