Garmin 800 vs 810

dirtybackwheels
dirtybackwheels Posts: 5
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone have any preference to either model - as every site I look at more people moan about the 810 - I need it for off road mapping with the 1:50 installed.

Comments

• Does anyone have any preference to either model - as every site I look at more people moan about the 810 - I need it for off road mapping with the 1:50 installed.

It depends what you want, they are essentially identical as regards the bike computer and gps and navigation functions are concerned.

Do you want or need the smartphone pairing function?

http://sportivecyclist.com/garmin-edge-800-vs-810/
  • don't need it for pairing up with my phone - im just more concerned with the amount of pages set up with people moaning about the 810
  • don't need it for pairing up with my phone - im just more concerned with the amount of pages set up with people moaning about the 810

In that case why do you want to pay for the extra features of the 810 and not use them.

The garmin os maps are pretty poor in use on the garmin, if you absolutely need the os maps get a device that supports memory map.

If not get a garmin 800 and download the free openstreetmap.
  • what is the openstreetmap - I need it for off road mountain bike trails etc

also what device supports memorymap?

isn't garmin better as battery life etc
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Openstreetmap is a set of open source maps available for handheld devices. Definitely better than OS IMO, but as they're open source it'll depend to a degree how detailed they are near you. Trouble with OS is that they only show footpaths/bridleways, whilst many trails aren't actually official rights of way. They also pixelate badly when you zoom in on an Edge.
  • what is the openstreetmap - I need it for off road mountain bike trails etc

also what device supports memorymap?

isn't garmin better as battery life etc

The devices for memory map
    http://bit.ly/1F61DmI

Openstreetmap
    http://bit.ly/1AHGrOn

os map comparison

6982256638_7e201228f5_b.jpg

openstreetmap v cn europe
    6957725908_717e05e1b9_b.jpg
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    As the difference is just phone and Garmin Connect Mobile compatibility, the 810 doesn't seem to offer any advantage for you.
    I have the 800 with the OS maps (with sale and bundle discounts it was daft not to have them). Whether they suit you depends on what you'll be doing with it. In summary:

OS 1:50,000 on Garmin - Pro: the definitive UK maps covering everywhere to the same standard, good enough to know if the turning your seeing is the one you should turn at! Con: Raster images so pixelate at high zoom.
    OS 1:25,000 on Memory Map - Pro: as above but larger scale and more detail. Con: As above plus devices not bike specific and reviewed as less reliable.
    Openstreetmap on Garmin - Pro: Shows greater detail in some areas, regularly updated, more "zoomable". Con: May not have detail in an area you'd like it to as it relies on contributors.

My personal experience is that the Edge 800 has been reliable and accurate.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    edited January 2015
    I was using the 800 until it broke and then bought the 810 due to the longer battery life & the continuous firmware updates for the Vector pedals. After getting used to the new menu's it's been fine and I can't fault it. Is it any better than the 800, no, but it's not any worse either.
  • thanks for all your advice - much more helpful than the guys in the cycle shops.