Chainset: Shimano CX50 vs CX70

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited January 2015 in Cyclocross
Hi

Can anyone advise the difference between CX50/CX70 chipsets? Is the CX70 worth the premium over the CX50?

Also I would be removing a triple chain set, the existing triple mech and shifter will remain. Will the left hand shifter and front mech work 100% with a double, just by managing the limit screws.

One other option is to go single on the existing triple with a 38t NW chain ring, and run a 28-11t cassette at the rear. I am sure this would be fine for local flatish trails and possibly some races. The issue is I do use it as a winter road bike, and like tacking some mtb like tricky hills, and I intend to do the Southdowns 100mile off road ride. Any one tried this combination successfully? I reckon I would end up with a sub 20lb bike, so it should be fairly light for hills.

Comments

• I have the CX 50 and a friend of mine has the CX70... there is virtually no difference and I don't think it's worth premium. The CX 50 is very very good
    left the forum March 2023
  • I looked into the cx50/cx70 early last year, from what I can remember from the Shimano Tech Docs, the only difference is in the chain rings (weight loss/different materials). I'm in agreement with Ugo, the CX50 is more than good enough, very robust and the chainrings last along time :)
  • Thanks. From searching the web its seems my triple shifter will be fine, the front much may benefit from being a double design and I have a spare.

So if I go down the double chain set route I will get 36/46 with 11/28 cassette. Still thinking of 1x10 (38 with 11/28), anyone done this?
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Only you can answer the question whether 38-28 is low enough for you. Use Sheldon Brown's gear calculator to find you're nearest current gear and try some hills with it.
  • I know. Just keep mulling the options. I know I don't like the triple, I like my road compact double and my mtb 1x10.

I fancy something simple and easy to clean, and it would cope with 90% of local rides. Its if/when I decide to venture further a field and regret some lower gears.
  • ravey1981
    I've been looking into 1-10 myself and I've seen on here somewhere that a standard short cage mech will take up to a 32t cassette so you have that option if you need a lower gear. I went out today up some big old hills (Yorkshire dales) and I was right on my limit with a 34 front 30 rear (road compact with 34-44 rings) although having said that those are the steepest hills I'm likely to go up on that bike anyway. I still out climbed my mate on his mtb though, cx bike with low weight and no power loss through suspension = win! Of course he wasted me on the descents....
  • Thanks.

Its a short cage mech. 38t is the smallest I cm get in 130bcd, and I was thinking I can get away with a 28 on the rear. Hmmm.

Out riding a local club road ride on Sat, I got by in the middle ring (34t? I think) and a 11-25 cassette. Dont recall dropping it into the small ring even on the longest climb, used the big rig once to push 40mph on a nice descent.
  • ravey1981
    Yeah I have 34-50 25-11 on the road bike and its fine, have found I need lower gears off road though, hence the 30t cassette on the cx bike. My cx bike came with a 50t big ring but it was just pointless so swapped it out for a 44, I find that set up perfect for the terrain around me.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    The 1x10 is a good bet too.

I've raced a 1x9 and 1x10 with a 38, 39, and 42 up front and thought it was great. The 38 was a bit undergeared for all but the hilliest courses, try the 39 maybe depending where you live.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Fitted the CX50 today, currently running 2x10. Shifts was better than the 3x10 (also 105), not sure if its down to wear as I also installed a new chain and cassette. May be doing a CX race next Sun, so will see how I get on.