2015 Specialized Tarmac Comp

mxmoorsey
mxmoorsey Posts: 47
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Going to upgrade my bike to the above but unsure what size to order.
I'm 6ft tall/ 184cm -according to the size guides online, I'm on the crossover between a 56 and a 58.

Can anyone help /advise me which size to go for?
I'm currently riding a size 56 Forme Longcliffe 3.0 2013.

Any help much appreciated :D

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I'm 5'11" and rode a Forme Longcliffe 56cm until about a year ago when I sold it on. On the Longcliffe I chose to fit a 90mm stem to get the set up ideal for me.

I would suggest you go for the 56 as it is easier to adjust the set-up of a smaller frame than to struggle with a frame that is too big for you.

However anything I or anyone else will recommend is pure speculation. The real answer is to find somewhere that stocks both sizes so that you can judge for yourself.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Two radically different bikes there in terms of sizing. What position is your stem in on your Forme (rise or drop) and how many spacers are under it? How does the reach feel?

Either the Frome fits you now and the Tarmac will be unworkable or the Frome is unnecessarily relaxed for you and the tarmac could be workable. Either way, I find it hard to imagine the 58cm tarmac being the correct size. If the reach of a56cm Loncliffe is even close close to being correct, a 58 cm Tarmac will almost definitely have too much reach.

How is your flexibility, can you touch your toes or better (trying to get an idea of suitability?).
  • I have a 2015 Comp 54cm and I'm 178cm or 5'10. With a 120mm SWorks stem.
  • Gaz777
    Gaz777 Posts: 84
    I also have a 2015 Tarmac Comp. I'm 6'2" and ride a 58cm, and I find it very comfortable. You may be a 56cm as you're two inches shorter. I'd want to actually sit on the bike to check if you could though. Where in the country are you? You're welcome to try my 58cm if you're local to me (Essex) and don't have shop near you with one in stock.
  • ollie51 wrote:
    Two radically different bikes there in terms of sizing. What position is your stem in on your Forme (rise or drop) and how many spacers are under it? How does the reach feel?

Either the Frome fits you now and the Tarmac will be unworkable or the Frome is unnecessarily relaxed for you and the tarmac could be workable. Either way, I find it hard to imagine the 58cm tarmac being the correct size. If the reach of a56cm Loncliffe is even close close to being correct, a 58 cm Tarmac will almost definitely have too much reach.

How is your flexibility, can you touch your toes or better (trying to get an idea of suitability?).

I'd say I have to reach for my bars on my forme. I've got a 90mm stem with all the original spacers that came with the bike underneath.

Not very flexible, can't touch my toes!
  • Gaz777 wrote:
    I also have a 2015 Tarmac Comp. I'm 6'2" and ride a 58cm, and I find it very comfortable. You may be a 56cm as you're two inches shorter. I'd want to actually sit on the bike to check if you could though. Where in the country are you? You're welcome to try my 58cm if you're local to me (Essex) and don't have shop near you with one in stock.

I'm in Bishops Stortford this week so could pop round if ok??

Would it be better to buy the 58 and make it "smaller" with the stem and seat all the way forward or buy a 56 and make it "longer"????
  • Gaz777
    Yep no problem; drop me a PM if you want to come by one evening.

I think people would often advise the slightly smaller one; I'd go with whichever felt the most comfortable. That said, when my LBS first fitted me (not for this bike) I thought 58 felt too big, but I was wrong, as its a perfect fit.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    mxmoorsey wrote:
    ollie51 wrote:

I'd say I have to reach for my bars on my forme. I've got a 90mm stem with all the original spacers that came with the bike underneath.

Not very flexible, can't touch my toes!

I'm going to suggest that a Tarmac may not be a good option at all, if you are indeed 'reaching' for the bars of the Forme (56cm) a 58cm Tarmac will be horrendously too big, and a 56cm Tarmac will be too big also. Remember, even though the ETT lengths of the Tarmac and Forme are similar(ish), because the head tube length/stack of the Tarmac is much lower, this will make the reach longer still. It's really hard for me to say without seeing you on the bikes, but I'd definitely go to a shop and get their advice and if they suggest a more endurance focused bike based on fit, i'd take that advice. Be sure to try bikes of both types, if you rock and say you're interested in a tarmac, unless they're good at what they do, they'll just sell you a tarmac without considering bikes that could be a far better fit.

When you say you have to 'reach for the bars' do you feel that you are overstretching, you should be sort of just putting your hands on the hoods, not reaching for them if that makes sense at all (probably doesn't)!
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I am the same height as you and ride a 2015 Specialized Allez Elite which, I think, has the same geometry as the Tarmac. Mine is a 56cm and now has a 120mm stem (up from the original 100mm) following a fitting session with Bike Science in Bistol. All seems very comfortable but it is still early days since the changes were made.

When I bought the Allez, I also tried a Secteur and a Cannondale something or other in both 56 and 58 and all in all preferred the Allez. That said, I'm no expert and fit is a very individual thing. Hope this helps.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    in 2011 the dimensions of the Allez were identical to the Tarmac - which I know to be true as I've got one of each.
    I'm 5'11" and ride the 56cm - I'm reasonably flexible.

Instinct says to go for the 56cm - but TBH, as others have said - you need to get on the bike first, you may find the geometry wrong for you, if you like the more relaxed geometry then look at the Roubaix (if it has to be Specialized)
  • Just an update. Went to a couple of different shops. Both suggested the same, a 56... The 58 was just wrong. Had a basic bike fit and I've had to have the seat post set up quite high as I have long legs but a short torso apparently... long story short, brought it while I was there, very happy :) just need some decent weather now!

Thanks for all your help. Gaz777 - May catch you at a sportive round essex in the summer...
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Congratulations - I hope you like it, be sure to get back with a review and some pictures.

I've ordered the same bike. I was told end of January for delivery, but got a phonecall this week to say it will be ready on Tuesday!

I'm a fraction under 5'10" with a longer torso and short legs and I've gone for a 54. I'm coming from an allez which was a 54 and saw me right for 1000s of miles, so I have no qualms about sizing- just rebuilding my fitness.
  • Gaz777
    mxmoorsey wrote:
    Just an update. Went to a couple of different shops. Both suggested the same, a 56... The 58 was just wrong. Had a basic bike fit and I've had to have the seat post set up quite high as I have long legs but a short torso apparently... long story short, brought it while I was there, very happy :) just need some decent weather now!

Thanks for all your help. Gaz777 - May catch you at a sportive round essex in the summer...

Give me a shout if you're ever around and fancy a ride! Thought you would be a 56cm, so at least that proved out, and you got to try before you parted with cash.