26" - 650b conversion

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited January 2015 in MTB general
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/t ... 50b-36241/

I found this article while looking for frames which would take 26" and 650b wheels using different drop outs etc. I only found the Banshee Spitfire V2 but don't want a Banshee so I'm off the idea.
There's a lot of good sense in this article.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Many hardtails will take 650B no issues, especially if you've dropped the front mech which is often mounted at the worst possible place on the seat tube, although sometimes you need to narrow the rear tyre a little to cope with the narrowing chainstays.

FS is inherently a whole different ball game of course, mine won't take 650B without some seriously small rubber being used (1.8" small). Fox 26" forks have lots of clearance so many will take a 650b tyre easily of moderate proportions (not a rubber queen perhaps!) others like my Manitou's have very little clearance so won't (I have about 1/2" clearance on 2.25" Ron's).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I know Rockshox and Marzocchi 26" forks won't take a sensible size 650b tyre and by fitting a smaller volume tyre you loose the tiny advantage of going to 650b.
    Just raising the BB half a inch would put me off doing it on any bike that I would like to handle well.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    I've been contemplating a 650b conversion on my Sanata Cruz Butcher but have heard that the Rockshox Lyriks won't take a 650b wheel. Have been doing some research and may go down the road of installing Durly Dirt Wizard tyres (26+). instead as the diameter of the wheel is almost 650b and you get all the benefits of a bigger volume.

http://surlybikes.com/parts/wheels/dirt_wizard_26
  • rockmonkeysc
    If your Lyriks won't take a 650b wheel are you sure they will take a tyre which is only very marginally smaller?
    That's going to be a very tall profile tyre, not ideal for stability or cornering.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    If your Lyriks won't take a 650b wheel are you sure they will take a tyre which is only very marginally smaller?
    That's going to be a very tall profile tyre, not ideal for stability or cornering.

Good point on the effect of a tall tyre. Maybe I'll just stick with my Hans Dampfs for just now.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Probably best. Your bike was designed and developed to work at it's best with 26" wheels.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/trail-tech-five-reasons-not-to-convert-26in-to-650b-36241/

I found this article while looking for frames which would take 26" and 650b wheels using different drop outs etc. I only found the Banshee Spitfire V2 but don't want a Banshee so I'm off the idea.
    There's a lot of good sense in this article.
    Just out of interest, what's wrong with the banshee? I've heard that it's a great bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    A friend of mine is on his second Spitfire V2 frame. The first one was crooked and bend the shaft of his CCDB coil shock. The one he has now is crooked and eats bearings. Refitting pivot bolts involves a pry bar to get things to line up. I also know of someone who has a crooked Banshee DH frame.
    Crooked frames used to be Intense's speciality but it looks like Banshee are doing them as well.
    Apparently they ride fairly well.