Brake Pad Wear...

2»

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Ah, I see.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    XTRs used to come with one resin and one sintered pad in each brake. That's all fact fans.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    njee20 wrote:
    XTRs used to come with one resin and one sintered pad in each brake. That's all fact fans.
    Interesting, i wouldn't fancy the uneven wear!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wasn't unusual for WRC rally cars to one pad each of different compounds either, back when I had contacts in teams anyway!

Not sure what effect you think uneven wear would have, if you assume it happened of course!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    correct me if anyone knows the physics better but to me a gripier pad one side than the other would mean a (slight) twisting force?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    correct me if anyone knows the physics better but to me a gripier pad one side than the other would mean a (slight) twisting force?

I may also be wrong but i think it'd just cause a deflection not a torsional force (at least not one i'd be worried about).
    The Rookie wrote:
    Wasn't unusual for WRC rally cars to one pad each of different compounds either, back when I had contacts in teams anyway!

Not sure what effect you think uneven wear would have, if you assume it happened of course!

One pad with wasted material when the other one is fully worn!
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    njee20 wrote:
    I used to use SS Kevlar, but have recently changed back to organic. Slightly cheaper, don't howl when wet, lasting well for me, and actually giving a better feel.

this is good to know as the stock pads in my xt's make loads of noise when wet.
    The Rookie wrote:
    Usually called resin by Shimano I believe, but organic (fibre) none the less.
    Changing pads on Deore's is as easy as it gets.

I don't know what the pads are in my xt's they came with the heat fins on but they are getting changed due to the noise in wet weather.

Does no one use Uberbike pads? what material are the race matrix?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Uberbike pads are made by the same people that make Superstar and several other branded pads.

The pistons should retract from the disc evenly so it doesn't matter if one pad wears faster, they should both arrive touching the disc together anyway, also the coefficient of friction difference between the two types is quite small, so while there will be a twisting force on the disc, it will be pretty much irrelevant as the force occurs when it's clamped between two pads anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    knackered shimano finned semi-metallic at innerliethen after a couple runs on my rear brake (160 ice tech rotor) front organic Zee pads on a 203 icetech fine. rear pad got glazed
  • Angus Young
    My organics have just popped through the door as I was reading that last post! I shall be popping them in this evening ready for the Verderers' Trail on Sunday.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Have you done that before? It's one of my favs.
  • Angus Young
    Have you done that before? It's one of my favs.

No, but it's been on my list for some time given all the good write ups it gets. Looking forward to it, hope it's not too busy. Forecast is good for Sunday.