Winter bib tight suggestions

mikey2341
mikey2341 Posts: 170
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Can anyone suggest any sensibly priced bib tights please? I'd love the rapha ones, but at £200 they are beyond my budget. I've got around £100 budget. Ideally windproof and showerproof and good for temperatures above freezing. I've been using bib shorts and s pair of running tights over the top, but they are not quite cutting it in the colder temperatures!

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Might be able to find some of these cheaper shopping around. I've been down to -3 and a bit wet in them so far this winter and up to around 7 or 8 in the past in all sorts of weather, never feel cold in them. No complaints about them though, really happy with them in fact.
  • voodooman
    voodooman Posts: 183
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-membrane ... 15369.html - these.

ridiculously cheap and bloody excellent
  • mikey2341
    mikey2341 Posts: 170
    voodooman wrote:

Sold out in my size, typical!
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Another vote for Sorpasso here. May need to put effort in to find the best price.

P.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Another +1 for the Castelli.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I use the Madison bib tights which are long enough for me being tall. Worth checking out the sales as there are some good reductions of quality kit if you look around, there are gore bib tights reduced to well within your budget.
  • Not sure how much Assos LL's are. But them.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Cant beat Sorpasso!
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    I normally plead guilty to buying the expensive stuff in the hope that it it might possibly be better. Normally it is.

On winter tights though I have been so satisfied with these, that when replacing a ripped pair I just bought the same ones again. Less than £55! Warm, comfortable.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-rouba ... bib-tight/
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    What about some non bib non padded Winter tights to go over your normal bibs - they will be much warmer than running tights and be the cheapest solution, especially if decathlon or similar do them
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Dippydog3 wrote:
    I normally plead guilty to buying the expensive stuff in the hope that it it might possibly be better. Normally it is.

On winter tights though I have been so satisfied with these, that when replacing a ripped pair I just bought the same ones again. Less than £55! Warm, comfortable.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-rouba ... bib-tight/

I bought a pair of the pro version of these when they were on promotion autumn 2014. Very comfortable and warm enough. I'm not convinced by the quality of workmanship though, with the odd thread coming loose; graphics 'cracking'; and wear showing quite early on the seat padding. I had a pair of Rapha bib tights and thought they were even worse - the seat area wore down in next to no time. Nothing I've bought has come close to Assos in bib longs for quality and durability. Unfortunately they charge for the privilege, but at least they deliver. I may well try the dhb linked above for commuting, as the price is acceptable to have the odd minor quality issue with. Same can't be said for Rapha.

Peter
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    I've recently bought some Parentini bibtights and have been very impressed with the quality. Wore them this morning on a -3 ride and was toasty. Their own designed pads are the best I've ever used (and I've had inserts from Assos, Castelli etc).

http://www.parentini.com/pagina.php?IDm ... rticolo=63
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Can anyone suggest anything similar to the old Campagnolo Bobet tights that were being sold off cheaply a couple of years ago? (unfortunately I only bought one, which suits me better than any other I've tried, but they are no longer made):

prod92503_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=500

- zipless design.
    - with pad
    - fleece lining (not too thick)
    - stretchy and not too narrow at ankles (no ankle zips)
    - legs not too long in medium size
    - foot loops
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    RDW wrote:
    Can anyone suggest anything similar to the old Campagnolo Bobet tights that were being sold off cheaply a couple of years ago? (unfortunately I only bought one, which suits me better than any other I've tried, but they are no longer made):

prod92503_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=500

- zipless design.
    - with pad
    - fleece lining (not too thick)
    - stretchy and not too narrow at ankles (no ankle zips)
    - legs not too long in medium size
    - foot loops

Keep an eye out to see if these come back in stock (they usually do):

http://startcycles.co.uk/adidas-superno ... ights.html

I bought a pair for £50 in Autumn and simply put I prefer them to my Assos Uno S5's and Giordana FRC bib tights. They seem to fit (me) really well and the pad is one of the best I've ever used, if not THE best; It's a high end Cytech pad (and a proper high end one, not the 'high end' ones that Wiggle claim the DHB tights have).

I bought a second pair straight away and they are now my go to cold weather tights.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • i bought the bib tights from Lidl/Aldi for the winter but they are rubbish for £30. Wiggle had a sale on and i bought some DHB active thermal tights for £18 and they are only £26 now and in my opinion they are great. nice pad and very warm. not been out in too much rain yet but they are great for the cash. depends if they are too cheap for you as i know your budget is higher
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • rocket1
    rocket1 Posts: 76
    Sarpasso for me as well And Castelli cafe have a deal on them
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    I've just bought some DHB thermal bib tights from wiggle, £30 they seem nice and thick with a reasonable pad. I hope I like them as much as the DHB Areon bin shorts I have.