Mega Gone... Dialled Alpine here!

MudOrNowt
MudOrNowt Posts: 17
edited December 2016 in Your mountain bikes
Evening All,

First post here so be gentle! Got back into MTB in Feb 14 after a 16 year break.....things have come a VERY long way since then!

Started out with a used Commencal Normal with the intention of upgrading along the way. 'Cracking' :wink: bike, rode really well tbf but in April a mate was selling a couple of his steeds to fund a Jekyll.
Although the Kona was a tad big for me, spec wise it was 95% there and the fact he is gentle on bikes, looks after them like his babies and offered me a giveaway price, I couldn't refuse.

As the year went on and the rust (on me) wore away, I bought a 2012 Mega locally and swapped all the bits over.

Only a couple of additions since then and I'm well and truly in love with both the bike and being back into MTB.

Spec currently

2012 Mega (S)
Rockshox Revelation 140mm 20mm thru axle
Marzocchi 55 160mm 20mm thru axle

Rockshox RT3 rear shock
Fox Vanilla RC with 450 Coil

Rockshox Reverb 125mm

XT Shifters
XT Rear Mech
SLX Front Mech
XT Chainset
Saint BB
Nukeproof Headset
Saint Pedals
Cassette Unknown
Chain Unknown

XT Brakes
Superstar 180mm Rotors

Hope Bash Gaurd
Blackspire Chain tensioner
Superstar Narrow Wide Chainring

Hope Pro2 Rear Hub Mavic EX325 Rim
Ringle Front Hub Sunn MTX Rim
Maxxis Minion DHR/F 2.5 (Wet)
Maxxis Larsen TT 2.35 (Dry)

Superstar DH 50mm Stem
Answer Pro Taper 780mm 25mm Rise
Custom Superstar Grips
Hope Seat Clamp
Nukeproof Saddle

So I (The royal I, it was all my mate) took this...

716901F2-5974-4584-BEAB-B8E628FAF91E_zpsa0cirurv.jpg

And this...

4C8E9FA3-7F28-4DB6-BCD5-CB4DC5F11BB1_zpskkrprhhw.jpg

And turned them into this....

F1E899F9-74E3-4486-B85F-3DCAAD38E98C_zpsvsvxybl6.jpg

And this....

114768B0-A281-4EAF-91F3-A654E3EF8AA6_zpsbm3hkbc5.jpg
7529FFC8-A1D2-499B-BF29-609C19C7469C_zpswvnepjmz.jpg
564881B8-48C7-4BFB-AAE7-24D79A6A2EC1_zps270oeh3b.jpg

First Ride...

D135C50A-13D9-408C-A428-5F70F807BBB9_zps7xxmkxtk.jpg

And latest pics

FD410395-0F0D-4311-BF12-0916A0719AD4_zps35uqu93d.jpg

922EEE10-6A0B-4FD8-9836-2DBA4B58CF50_zpspzvewmkb.jpg

Next job is replacing the forks as they're a little too short travel for this and I want to slacken her up, new pads, new tyres and keep trying not to fall off!

Ta,

Pete

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Looks good mate! I've got a newer mega and they ride great. As you say, longer travel forks will sort it out, and I reckon a shorter stem too. Should be good to go!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not another Mega! Does look nice though.

Fork looks a little short travel for the Mega?

I just did a reframe in a similar way over the holiday.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Looks good mate! I've got a newer mega and they ride great. As you say, longer travel forks will sort it out, and I reckon a shorter stem too. Should be good to go!

Cheers! Couldn't really go much shorter than the 50mm tbh, it's the Gold one now not the original I had in the early photos. :)
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not another Mega! Does look nice though.

Fork looks a little short travel for the Mega?

I just did a reframe in a similar way over the holiday.

LoL, common as muck.... Yeah they're only 140mm so want something 160mm+ and these can go on the hard tail I want to build.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very nice. I like the old Megas, indestructible and well made.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Kind of off topic, but I have a Kona Dawg T-shirt at home, only specific make and model T-shirt I think I've seen!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Rookie wrote:
    Kind of off topic, but I have a Kona Dawg T-shirt at home, only specific make and model T-shirt I think I've seen!

I have an On On Inbred t shirt and a Nukeproof Scalp jersey. Both came free with bikes although the On One t shirt came with a 456 Summer Season, not an inbred.
  • The Rookie wrote:

I have an On On Inbred t shirt and a Nukeproof Scalp jersey. Both came free with bikes although the On One t shirt came with a 456 Summer Season, not an inbred.

I used to have a Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Tshirt..... But threw it out in '99 :wink:
  • ilovedirt
    MudOrNowt wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

Cheers! Couldn't really go much shorter than the 50mm tbh, it's the Gold one now not the original I had in the early photos. :)
    Ah yeah, I missed that! Much better :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Very nice! Always thought the 2012 Megas were the best, although I'm obviously biased :)

Can confirm they ride amazing with 160mm forks ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Very nice! Always thought the 2012 Megas were the best, although I'm obviously biased :)

If build quality is as nice as the 2012 Scalp then they're better built than the later ones. The earlier sizing doesn't suit me though otherwise I would have one.
  • CitizenLee wrote:

Can confirm they ride amazing with 160mm forks ;)

Nothing wrong with rose tinted spectacles lol :D

May even go for bigger tbh.....
    CitizenLee wrote:

If build quality is as nice as the 2012 Scalp then they're better built than the later ones. The earlier sizing doesn't suit me though otherwise I would have one.

I am impressed with its build quality and size wise I'm made up with it so double happy.

Just need to sort forks as they need a service (losing air) so by the end of a ride I'm down to 120mm travel and start smashing pedals! Doh.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Are they dual air? An air spring rebuild might be needed, the bottom circlip falls off the spring assembly. Takes about two hours the first time and is fairly simple.
  • Are they dual air? An air spring rebuild might be needed, the bottom circlip falls off the spring assembly. Takes about two hours the first time and is fairly simple.

Yeah they are. Had a quick look on the guide on here as well as the Rockshox service pdf and thought about giving it a bash.... That lasted about an hour before I decided that sending them to TF for a full service would be the best option as I'd end up getting raged and launching them lol.

They'll be going on my hard tail build anyway so may as well get them done :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's fairly simple are long as you are very methodical and organised and ensure that everything is spotlessly clean when you reassemble it.
    Sending them to TF Tuned is easier :-)
  • It's fairly simple are long as you are very methodical and organised and ensure that everything is spotlessly clean when you reassemble it.
    Sending them to TF Tuned is easier :-)

Just had a play around with the pressures top and bottom and I'm back up to full travel.... See how they fair over the next week then I'll get them booked in :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    If they go down again then you definitely need an air spring service.
  • So...... Just got my forks back on after sending them to Slick&Slide (RickDraper on here) for a service.

Firstly, big thanks to Rick. Excellent service, great price and a thoroughly nice chap :D

Decided to get shut of the front mech too and go 1x9.... Chainrings were way past their best!

Borrowed a Superstar NW off my mate to see how I get on with it. Only had a quick blast just now but the bike feels amazing. Forks were obviously well overdue and feel great. Looking forward to getting out properly now 8)

FC687B8F-9123-4838-B495-4AAA9A3B963B_zpsdfmmobcr.jpg

001CBE14-651D-48AF-8B53-0572C29A0B71_zpsxggvcf0t.jpg

Reverb looks like its sticking up loads but its just because the bike is so nose down on the stand!

8EEFA3B7-E309-42D8-982D-520481373B2D_zpsu7saeybb.jpg

9D4B9683-D76B-47FA-9A47-6A22ED240C8E_zpsck7fyp2s.jpg

57AFED16-F0C7-4329-9424-CADB6FB7E5F7_zps8wcfuk7y.jpg

Need some new tyres next, going to stick with the Minion on the front but may go for a shorty on the back.... anyone used them?
  • rockmonkeysc
    That's an odd combination. Minions are crap in mud and Shorty's will only be good in the wet.
  • That's an odd combination. Minions are crap in mud and Shorty's will only be good in the wet.

Oh really fair enough! I love my Minion combo in the wet, been pretty good in fairly light mud but nothing too heavy. They didn't impress me in the few dry rides I had last year but these are only for the next few months anyhow.

I need something until it's dry so I'll stick with the Minions.
  • MudOrNowt
    Well been a while since I put anything on here, not a great deal changed really.

Got myself a set of Marzocchi (r.i.p!) 55's and it transformed the bike. The 1-9 set up made me push a lot more and although I have 1-10 on order it has been fine 90% of the time.

DSC_2109_zpswre1gpgh.jpg

Ended up doing a sesh at Revo last month and absolutely loved it, really impressed with the bike. :)

DSC_2115_zpsq76kd8dx.jpg

Also, been looking at this option and after seeing a thread on here started doing more research until last week when I found this little beut on eBay. Not used it in anger yet but should get a good sesh this weekend to get a better idea.

DSC_2214_zpsylumr0qm.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    Van RC? TF Tuned can do some very good things with them.
  • MudOrNowt
    Van RC? TF Tuned can do some very good things with them.

Yeah that's the one. The plan is to send it to them once it needs a service
  • rockmonkeysc
    I do like these early Nukeproofs. My 2014 Mega TR was so poorly made compared to my 2012 Scalp, I really do likewise Scalp. It's simple but effective.
  • ilovedirt
    Nice, Van RC is a decent shock, lots of tuning potential, get it sent off to TF and get it PUSH tuned, it'll make a world of difference.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Been a while, got rid of the Mega for this... As per Aggressive hardtail thread

Dialled Alpine Steel hardtail.

DSC_4227_zps7ri1uzzw.jpg

Just recently bought a Trek FuelEx 7.5 that's going to be my distance bike as this is more of a ripper!