Bike bag for carbon bike

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
I've never owned a carbon bike before, and am considering getting a protective bike bag for when travelling with the car in the boot of the car. Will be going from down south up to York at Easter and would rather drive with it in the car than on a rack on the roof.

Can anyone suggest a bag to put the bike in - would one of CRC's standard bags be suitable, or should I go for a hard case?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You'll do well to fit a typical protective bike bag to the back of any car. Mine won't fit in the "boot" of my E-Class estate and just squeezes across the back seat. Unless you really need it (airlines etc) I wouldn't bother. Just wrap it in an old blanket to stop it getting scratched.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I often use a padded Planet X bag to transport my carbon bike in the car. We have a Ford Fiesta and it pretty well fills the luggage space when you fold the back seat down. My wife's bike lies on the top of it and we fit camping gear around it all. We've now got a camper van. Again the Planet X bike is brilliant for storing my bike upright in the boot space horizontally behind the rear bench seat. At night, if I don't want to leave the bike outside the van, I just pick up the bag and it fits well between front passenger and driver seats when I fold the back seat into a bed. The bike doesn't get damaged and it's very easy to move it around in the bag.
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Its a C30, so similar in size to a Fiesta - I was planning to have the seats folded flat too.

So something like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/chai ... prod106851
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Yeah, that looks the sort of thing you want. It will probably fill your available luggage space and there's enough squashability on a soft bag like this to squeeze it in. A cheap and cheerful and effective way to transport and carry your bike without worry about damaging your nice carbon frame.
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    If your bike is inside your car how does it get damaged?
    :?:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Get a roof box for the other luggage then ?

Seriously you don't need a bag for it. You need padding.

Either go to town with pipe lagging or just get an old duvet and wrap that around the bike.

Just use common sense really when packing the car.