Sram Red Brake Spare Parts?

norvernrob
norvernrob Posts: 1,448
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Morning all

Can anyone tell me where I can get spares for Sram Red calipers? Specifically I need the 2.5mm adjuster and the threaded bit that fits into it where the spring sits.

Pretty seriously p*ssed off this morning. Had a cable set fitted at Evans earlier this week, I didn't fancy fitting it as it was a Yokozuna reaction that are supposed to be really stiff and a bit awkward.

Anyway, the guy there couldn't fit the rear brake outer as it was too stiff and kept pushing the caliper to one side (common sense tells me you'd keep taking a very short length off until it didn't but hey ho) so he fitted a standard shimano one.

I've just gone to take it for a test ride and noticed the back brake was rubbing before I even got on the bike. I went to turn the adjuster and the right side was seized solid (I know it wasn't before I took it to evans as it's only left the house once since I fitted new wheels and pads and nobody else but me has touched it).

As soon as I put any pressure whatsoever on the seized adjuster it snapped where the spring sits inside. It was obviously way over tightened then seized and they must have known. Obviously I'll be complaining to Evans but I don't expect to get anywhere.

Luckily (or it will be if I can get spares) it's only a small part damaged, but I've checked the indexing and they've done that wrong too! When in lowest gear there is another full shift on the lever, the system won't let it shift into the spokes but when I've followed the Sram setup guide there is no lever travel once in the lowest gear.

If anyone could point me in the direction of a shop I can order spares from I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Rob

Oh, I don't need lectures on how I should do all my own maintenance - instead of spending half the day changing cables I took my son sledging in the snow!

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    No shame in using others to do work for you, but, honestly, get to a proper bike shop in the future... Evans and the likes are just 1 up from Halfords in having genuine bike spannering skills.
    There are a few decent shops in the Potteries, I wont name names...
    A bit of easy web checking ...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SRAM-Brake-Ca ... 1e93fcc3d5
  • norvernrob
    Those are just the cable clamps, I needed the aerolink spring adjusters. I've managed to find a set, Sram sell them on Amazon. I'll be sending photos and a complaint email to Evans asking for a full refund.

I don't know any decent shops in Sheffield, I got my old bike from Planet X and they didn't index that properly, either when I first bought it or when it went back with another issue. Both times I had to do it myself properly after. I've got a workstand and have done all my own work so far, I just didn't fancy fitting those cables as I'd read they are a pig to fit. I wish I'd just done it now.
  • On the rear shifter it is normal to have a sort of dummy shift at the lowest gear, this is so that if when you are in the lowest gear and you try to go lower you do not end up going up a gear (if you see what I mean). So they may be set up correctly. If you can get all of your gears, and can still try to shift an extra gear down when in the lowest gear, but nothing happens, then this is correct. See item 5 in the following guide:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... rce-25902/
  • norvernrob
    gloomyandy wrote:
    On the rear shifter it is normal to have a sort of dummy shift at the lowest gear, this is so that if when you are in the lowest gear and you try to go lower you do not end up going up a gear (if you see what I mean). So they may be set up correctly. If you can get all of your gears, and can still try to shift an extra gear down when in the lowest gear, but nothing happens, then this is correct. See item 5 in the following guide:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... rce-25902/

Thanks for that, it makes sense but strangely it doesn't mention that in the Sram video and when I set it up there is no extra 'ghost shift' when in lowest gear. Tbh it worries me that if something went wrong with the system I could shove the derialleur into the spokes, I'd rather have the odd up shift when looking for a lower gear and be 100% certain it can't happen.

In that guide the rear derailleur loop looks too short for Sram too :|
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Anyway, the guy there couldn't fit the rear brake outer as it was too stiff and kept pushing the caliper to one side (common sense tells me you'd keep taking a very short length off until it didn't but hey ho) so he fitted a standard shimano one.

This is can be normal, about half the bikes I have Yokozuna'ed' this problem as occurred. The likelyhood increases when a caliper isn't so highly sprung by design, but more so by poor design positioning of the exit point/boss on the rear of the top tube.

Anyway, the point is, they probably have not been daft on this point so don't worry about that bit.

Don't take a bike to somewhere that hasn't been recommended. Some mechanics have no mechanical mind whatsoever and you just end up paying for some half stoned 17 year old to do his hungover teenage best. What you want is someone who knows what they're doing and cares about doing it well.
  • norvernrob
    mfin wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:

This is can be normal, about half the bikes I have Yokozuna'ed' this problem as occurred. The likelyhood increases when a caliper isn't so highly sprung by design, but more so by poor design positioning of the exit point/boss on the rear of the top tube.

Anyway, the point is, they probably have not been daft on this point so don't worry about that bit.

Don't take a bike to somewhere that hasn't been recommended. Some mechanics have no mechanical mind whatsoever and you just end up paying for some half stoned 17 year old to do his hungover teenage best. What you want is someone who knows what they're doing and cares about doing it well.

Thanks for the reply, I don't suppose you've ever fitted a a Yokozuna set on a Scott Foil? Just wondering if it was worth my time trying to fit that section of outer myself.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, I don't suppose you've ever fitted a a Yokozuna set on a Scott Foil? Just wondering if it was worth my time trying to fit that section of outer myself.

No, I haven't, but I think if someone has found a problem you are likely to as well. If the outer is in two sections and only the rear 20cm bit is a bit of shimano then I wouldn't worry about it, the difference will be minimal/unnoticeable. But if the outer is one piece going right through the top tube the difference may be a bit noticeable IF you can get it not to knock your brake caliper off centre (don't bet on it if someone else has found this problem).

Having a play/experiment is a good thing to get into though, you learn a lot if you take your time to think about issues.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Tbh it worries me that if something went wrong with the system I could shove the derialleur into the spokes
    You'll never get that on a properly set up bike. Not even on a SRAM equipped one.
  • norvernrob
    patrickf wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Tbh it worries me that if something went wrong with the system I could shove the derialleur into the spokes
    You'll never get that on a properly set up bike. Not even on a SRAM equipped one.

What I'm saying is there is a built in fail safe, I can push across another gear but the derialleur automatically goes back into position. But what if that went wrong....

Not sure about the Sram comment. :roll:
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    NorvernRob wrote:
    patrickf wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:

What I'm saying is there is a built in fail safe, I can push across another gear but the derialleur automatically goes back into position. But what if that went wrong....

Not sure about the Sram comment. :roll:
    The built-in failsafe is the same as with Shimano - namely the limit screws on the rear derailleur. Or you could always stick a dork disc on if you really want the extra safety blanket ;)