A few upgrade questions

jfry94
jfry94 Posts: 392
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
1. Cranks. I want to upgrade my sram s1400 chainset on my Jekyll to either xt or xtr, is xtr worth an extra £130 over xt. Or am I better getting xt cranks and going 1x with them. Or even staying with what I've got and going 1x

2. Brakes. I currently have Magura mt2 which I realy like but I need more power and better cooling. I've been looking at xt's with ice tech rotors. Are these going to be a good upgrade.

Cheers guys, happy new year.
2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
2007 Carrera Kraken

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you're changing the chain rings anyway you may as well just get SLX. There's an insignificant weight difference between SLX and XT cranks, all the weight saving of the XT crankset is in the chain rings.
  • jfry94
    Would slx be better than what I have already? SRAM x7
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • rockmonkeysc
    Better bottom bracket. Not sure what the weight and bolt pattern of the X7 cranks are but if they're ok the just get a Hope ceramic bottom bracket.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Not sure the benefits outweigh the price difference between XT and XTR... so I'd say the XT. But to throw another into the mix have you thought about Rotor 3D cranks? For around £170 you can get a 3D crankset with rings but excl BB, weighs in at around 620g excl BB for double crank.

No opinion on the XT brakes I'm afraid, magura man myself in that department.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The best way of getting brakes to cope with more heat is bigger discs, but yes the ice tech discs and pads are a good option. The other thing is technique, dragging your brakes is a really good way to overheat them, getting off them for a while allows them to cool, you only need to drag them lightly to guarantee cooking them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Didn't those Rotor cranks come out quite badly in the MBUK cranks test? SLX came out top, there's 20 grammes between SLX and XT including rings.
  • Just fitted and bedded a pair of XTs using the original avid 5 rotors 180/160. Power is fantastic (I'm nudging 95kg) compared to the avids. No info on the cooling as of yet though.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • jfry94
    Cheers guys. I think I'm going to go 1x 10 with slx cranks hope retainer ring and a trex extender. As for brakes I'm going to go xt with the freeze ice tech rotors.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • As said not much between SLX and XT however if going 1x10 then there is a cosmetic difference between the two. SLX will show an unfinished silver surface on the spider where the big ring would normally be where as the XT one is colour coded and looks more seamless. Functionally there is no difference. I would invest in an XTR Bottom Bracket too for the £30 cost as far better than the other Shimano ones.

XT Brakes are excellent.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No point changing your BB from the outset, may as well use what it comes with first.
  • njee20 wrote:
    No point changing your BB from the outset, may as well use what it comes with first.
    True...

I didn't even notice the BB in the box with the last set of cranks I purchased until a month later when clearing out empty boxes and general crap.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    SLX will show an unfinished silver surface on the spider where the big ring would normally be where as the XT one is colour coded and looks more seamless.

Not if using the cranks that come as 2x10 (M675 I believe) as all the rings fit behind the spider.