girls xc mtb

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a girls xc mtb, want to buy it whole and will probably buy second hand. Hopefully under 300. I just need to know a few options for her size.

She's quite small - 5' 2" with an inside leg of 29.5"

Any suggestions

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's one long inside leg for the height, same as mine and I'm 5'9" tall!

She'll need a longish frame for her arm length, personally I'd look for a frame that suites her reach without being too 'big' underneath her and getting a decent donor bike for the main components.

My youngest is similar dimensions and uses a Scott voltage jump style frame for the length to 'biggmess' ratio and then it's built up as an XC bike component wise, 2x9 gearing with some 120mm Manitou forks, rides really nicely.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I picked up a 16" women's carrera Vulcan for my daughter who's about 4'10. It's probably a touch big right now but should last a little longer than every other bike. Cost me about £160.

My other half has a Scott contessa 30 which off the top of my head is the same frame size and she's 5'5. Cost me £130

Both could do with better forks but plenty about that would keep the price under £300
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Cheers guys Vulcan looks good. Il double check the leg length, she.doesn't have particularly long legs! She can ride my 16" hornet comfortably with the seat slammed right down but she does look funny with 800mm bars :)

What size Vulcan would suit?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I ride a 16" Kraken and had about 5" of post showing (7" crank, 16" frame, 5" post and an inch of saddle is 29", allowing for pedal and sole thickness off that....).

My Eldest is 5'3" and doesn't like to ride anything bigger than a 13/14".
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.