Rim tape width

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
This must be a really basic question, but it is foxing me. What rim tape width should I buy? I'm not buying it for a particular wheel, but just to have in stock next time I need it. It will need to go on either a set of Shimano RS80 clinchers or Mavic Ksyrium Elite S.
If I buy these from Continental they seem to have a 16mm width, but these from Lifeline come in wide or narrow which is I think 18mm or 16 mm.
I don't want to get the wrong width and then get any punctures as a result, but I'm not sure how to tell which one will suit me best?
Thanks

Comments

• Lifeline narrow
    left the forum March 2023
  • Lifeline narrow
    Marvellous, thanks Ugo.

• I've used lots of Velox, but I have given up on it... the problem is lots of folks ride in the wet and some water enters the rim. Cloth tape absorbs it and prevents it from going back out... the net result is that over a year rims fitted with Velox are covered in metal oxide and if they have eyelets those will be covered in rust
  • Must say ugo I did wonder as I've always had you down as an appreciator of classic bike kit and in my mind velox is a classic. ... Interesting and I do have Open Pro rims, ride in the wet and they do sometimes accumulate a little of that whiteish powdery looking oxidation round the eyelets. Must say I've never worried about it as I am sure I read on here its not at all dangerous and the cosmetic aspect isn't an issue for me. I've only ever had non velox on once - for literally about 50 miles - and got my only ever pinch puncture so am reluctant to change.
  • Like all things it's down to maintenance...
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Must say ugo I did wonder as I've always had you down as an appreciator of classic bike kit and in my mind velox is a classic. ... Interesting and I do have Open Pro rims, ride in the wet and they do sometimes accumulate a little of that whiteish powdery looking oxidation round the eyelets. Must say I've never worried about it as I am sure I read on here its not at all dangerous and the cosmetic aspect isn't an issue for me. I've only ever had non velox on once - for literally about 50 miles - and got my only ever pinch puncture so am reluctant to change.
    Unless you have grey Archetype rims in which case you end up losing parts of your rim around the nipples when you clean the cr*p off. The greys are hard anodised rather than soft with the black so I hope the blacks don't do the same.

Ugo, interesting point those wheels also had Velox tape and there was a large accumulation of salt on the inside (an absolute nightmare to clean off). I still use Velox though having seen it as "the standard" so I may have to try some other tape.